Which motherboard should I get for an AMD Phenom IIx4 975

AndrewSier6975

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hello,
I'm thinking about upgrading my rig a bit and saw the AMD Phenom IIx4 975 and just loved it...the problem is, I would need to upgrade my motherboard for it, which is perfectly fine because I had plans on doing so anyway.
My question is, which motherboard would be the best to unlock this beasts' true potential and really make it rumble.
I know performance comes at a price but I do have to set a limit for it so I would say about $120-$180 is my range.
Thank you and hope to get responses soon.

AndrewSier6975

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
How does it run on your MSI 890FX?
I actually have been looking at both, the Asus Sabertooth 990FX and the Gigabyte 990FX but just wanted to know which one would be best and if there was actually a better one than those, but they both look good.

s0ul1984

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
If I was you, I would not go for amd at all. The future is intel. I know they cost more but that's why you have less problems with heating and other errors.

Since 2008 I am not using amd nor ati hardwares. With intel you have less problems.

Huh .. wtf. Heating / Errors?

Don't want to get into a debate here, but everything you just said is textbook definition of a fanboi. AMD's haven't "overheated" for over a decade, and I've ~never~ heard of "errors" happening in the entire time I've been building systems (over 20 years now).

Anyhow, to the OP, Both the Sabertooth and Gigabyte perform the same, their both Tier 1 manufacturers and have solid warranty / RMA systems in place. Honestly go with the one that has the better layout or feature your looking for, other wise their the same.