GC100

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Greetings!!!!

I have a Linksys-G 2.4 GHz router with my main office computer connected to it & I'm trying to set-up another desktop computer in the basement with a NETGEAR Wireless-G USB Adapter WG111v3 to it. I followed the easy setup instructions & it says its connected with the small tray icon appearing & is showing an excellent signal strength -- (green bars etc.)
However I'm clicking on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop & it won't connect to the internet! Any suggestions?? Any idea If this adapter is not compatible with the Linksys router?? ...... Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance !!!!!! :pt1cable:

G

Do this first:

Check TCP/IP Properties. Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

You mention one computer is in basement and other is where ? Basement reception will be poorer than on the same floor or above (physics etc). My experience with USB wireless adapters has been poor so I think you need to be sure the wireless signal is as good as poss. See below:

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.