Jan 11, 2011
Hi all, my specs are

AMD PHENOM2 X6
4GB DDR3 RAM
GIGABYTE GA-880GM USB3 M/BOARD
MSI R6870 1GB
WD GREEN 320GB
COOLERMASTER GX650W

i bought all these parts in mid july 2010, everything was fine. Nearly 3 months usage, while playing game, there was a POP sound and my system seem dead. There was no smell, marks visible. But luckily non of my other components fried.

my fren had a new CM GX 650 and he's willing to lend me. So i hooked up everything and running fine for another 3 months. Yesterday, got back from work, i switched on my pc and while surfing the net for 10mins, POP....same thing happened.

SOMEONE PLS HELP!! i hav no idea why it happen. Is it my mobo, vga card or the psu?

Those pops can only be caps (capacitors) chances are that the psu failed or the board is failing. Your card is too new to be having issues like that (solid caps can and have failed but rare). Remove the psu and look inside for any thing blown out and check the board.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
The "pop" sound came from the PSU? What was the make/model of the first PSU? Are you 100% sure that everything is connected properly, including all front panel wires (power button, resent button, etc.)? It's possible that it's either a faulty connection of some sort, causing shorts or some sort of electrical failure, or a faulty component, though I only see grade-A components in your system, so that's unlikely.

If I were you, I would take apart my PC and re-assemble it just to be sure. Also, is your power supply plugged directly into an wall outlet, or to a surge-protector? If it goes into the wall, I'd suggest investing into a reputable surge protector (in other words, not one from your local Dollar Store).

netherezim

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Ive checked my mobo, theres no burn marks, or bloated caps. its seems fine to me. For the psu, i cant really open it coz theres waranty seal on the screws. ive heard that the cooler master GX series is of bad quality, its it true? Well if its true, is Corsair HX series be a better option?

netherezim

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
The first PSU was the same as the latter, CoolerMaster GX650W. The connections are in place, no lose connections, wires neatly tied. I just dont get it. The same psu model popped. Might it be the GX series? anyways thx for the reply guys

Three months and the PSU fails. Better buy a good one next time. :) Here's the problem. When a PSU blows, it can often times cause damage to other components in the system. Problem is, you can't tell until you replace the PSU and see if all works.

Get something from Antec, Seasonic, Corsair if you want a very good quality PSU. You'll spend more money, but you'll have a very reliable PSU.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I typically stay away from bashing or praising any given brand - I have heard of massively terrible "quality brand" models, and I have also observed generic cheap muck outperform stuff that would have cost quadruple, but, and I say this with all due respect to anyone out there who doesn't care or who can't afford it, but the PSU is the one thing that you should never be cheap with and shouldn't buy lightly! If the CPU is the brain of your PC, then the PSU is the heart... Unless it's strictly financial, there's no excuse for going cheap with a PSU! Sorry for the rant....

As for your issue, specifically, it's very hard to swallow that you'd have the exact same issue with 2 identical models of a PSU that's sold by a reputable company. But like jerreece said, you won't be able to find out until you buy another PSU. How about the surge protector, do you have one?

I have no problem praising good brands. When you get companies like Antec, Seasonic, Corsair (as the examples I gave) I have no issue telling people they are safe bets. Can you get a dud from any manufacturer? Yes you can! However, the chances of massive failure are far, far less when you buy from a company that's well known for producing high quality products.

In the same token, I have absolutely no problem with warning people away from $20 and $30 power supplies that can be purchased through hokey websites. If you go through these forums (and others) you'll see no small amount of folks who've suffered from the $19.99 power supply that blew up. And you can indeed find power supplies that cheap. But I'd never chance it even for a really basic PC build.

The COOLERMASTER GX650W that OP used isn't a $20-$30 PSU. But having two of them die after 3 months is pretty suspect. I certainly wouldn't get another of the same unit. Though the OP may want to look into the possibility for warranty claims. Three months is dang short for a power supply.

You said just what I've said before. The Power Supply Unit is indeed the Heart of the system. Without it, nothing else works. And if it fails, everything could go with it.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
^ yup, I'm in full agreement with you! The reason I sort of stopped with the brand glorification is simply due to experience and observations. I know this sounds contradictory because on the one hand it seems like I'm saying to not worry about brands, and then I am suggesting to go with something reputable, but essentially what I mean to say is that decisions should be made in an educated manner, not by simply looking at brands. These days, in fact, it's hard to even know who really makes what. All in all, we're in agreement!