Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sandy Bridge Build Advice

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2011 6:35:48 AM

Alright so its been a while since I have built my own computer, been using laptops for a while. I dont necessarily have a budget for this build but I will be saving up around 100$ a week and buying parts here and there until I have everything. (I know it will take a while but thats my only way) So on to the fun stuff.

System Usage Main Purpose: Will mainly be used for DJ software/Music Production/Engineering/Gaming. (Software ex. Serato, Ableton Live, Reason, AutoCAD, Maybe some 3d rendering software as well) I will at the very least be using Serato & Ableton at the same time or Ableton and Reason at the same time. I would also like to be able to plug my computer up to my TV which will either be HD or Blue Ray. But thats not that important.

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T ($144)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K ($329)

Mother Board ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) ($365)

Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) ($99)
OR
Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) ($85)

GPU: Undecided (This is where I needed help. I have looked at the GTX570 but was not sure what would be good)

Also I plan on using watercooling, which I am researching to make sure I get the best parts so I wont have any leaks. Main reason why is because currently I have an XPS M1730 which over heats like a B*** and slows down to a snails pace when it does.

It would be great if someone could give me advice on how to get the most out of this build. The Case, Motherboard, and CPU im pretty set on its just the Memory and GPU that I mainly need help with. But any advice would be much appreciated.

-On a side note, this may be a stupid question, but is it really that necessary to get an SSD to use for boot up and have the OS installed on it and an HDD for everything else?

March 16, 2011 6:52:02 AM

Forgot to mention I may go dual monitor in the future. Dont know if that will make a difference.
m
l
March 16, 2011 6:55:05 AM

Everything looks really good...the case is actually pretty good for watercooling also.. Also i think the GTX 580 is dropping in price and honestly i never used SSD yet so i couldn't really tell you but im using a 1 TB Samsung F3 7200rpm hard drive and it loads up fast enough...Especially in games i load fast...In Bad company 2 im one of the 1st ones to load up and there's still a timer for everyone to log in so it doesnt matter if you have ssd or a 7200rpm drive for bad company 2...plus what i do in the morning is turn on my computer and get a cup of coffee and when i come back it's done loading up lol...but it loads up windows fast enough but not as fast as ssd...i just built my pc also :) 

Here are my specs:

i5 2500k
msi p67A-GD65
4gigs Corsair Vengeance
850hx Corsair Modular power supply
Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink
Samsung F3 1tb 7200rpm
Lian-li 7FNW case
GTX 295 a friend gave me for free :)  will last me till the new Nvidia cards come out...actually not even sure if i'll upgrade it because it's pretty damn fast already...

here's a picture of it...doesn't have the graphics in there yet cause i just got it yesterday...But you won't regret your i7 build..i can play any game so far in high settings with no problems..the sandy bridge cpu really helps...

http://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/20zwi8fye0ub1y1gw6ys#w8...

m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2011 7:15:02 AM

Is there a huge enough difference between the 570 and 580 to move up? GPU's is the one area im not to good at figuring out since there is ALOT of them and most seem to be the same. Also apparently the GTX590 is comin out so I wonder how much that will cost. I honetly would prefer to spend around 400$ on the GPU
m
l

Best solution

March 16, 2011 3:59:40 PM

Ok, the CPU is a GREAT choice for sound programs and 3D rendering.

Watercooling should not be something that you need as a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ keeps my 2600k @ 4.6GHz 24 x 7 (i disabled all throttling options and speedstep) at no higher than 61c. The Sandy Bridge CPU's stay very cool, without overclocking, mine never hit 40c...

The 8GB should serve well vs 4GB for RAM.

For the motherboard, save cash and get an ASUS P8P67 Pro, you won't need anything more really...

An SSD might serve you well for recording Audio or video, otherwise, if it is just for the OS, that is usually for bragging rights.

What games do you play and at what resolution?

Also, one thing that you did not mention is the Power Supply. That is one item i would not flake out on, make sure you have a good quality PSU like Corsair of Seasonic, 750+ watts should last quite some time.
March 16, 2011 6:04:30 PM

The reason is because I havnt finalized everything yet. And depending on what parts I get will change what PSU I get.

Games wise it will most likely be alot of single player games. The only multiplayer games I play will probably be MMO's and Strategy Games like Starcraft. But I would like to have everything run on the highest settings resolution wise. Especially if im playing an RPG or Shooter. (Hope that helps out)

The main reason I was going to water cooling is not just the CPU I was also going to water cool the Video Card and possibly the memory as well. I may end up getting more memory in the future depending on how everything runs.

But yea I was thinking the SSD would run faster for recording purposes. And I can always just transfer my music over to an HDD once im done so it doesnt take up to much space.

But what do you think would be better between the 2 choices of Memory that I have
m
l
March 17, 2011 12:35:48 AM

Can anyone help me figure out between those 2 memory which would be best?

Also help me figure out which direction i should go video card wise.
m
l
March 17, 2011 11:27:35 AM

Video card - GTX 570

RAM - 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600

In my opinion, you won't need water cooling at all. Water cooling is more of a hassle if you're not going to max overclock your Vid card and CPU.
m
l
March 17, 2011 5:25:42 PM

Alright thanks. I just wasnt sure about the GTX 570 because I looked it up and some people had said they were having problems with the card wearing down after a little bit. Saw people say that on this site as well as others.

But then again there are always people that dont take care of their stuff and end up breaking it then blame it on the product. So who knows.
m
l
March 17, 2011 6:04:13 PM

You could also get an AMD 6950 and flash it to be a 6970. The 570 was going to be my original choice but i figured i would get a GTX 560 Ti and SLI another one later down the road...
m
l
March 17, 2011 7:28:07 PM

To be honest I dont know how to begin to flash it to a 6970.

I have heard tho that the 2x560 is pretty much the same as a 570 and 2x570 is pretty much pointless because it doesnt make that much of a difference. But thats just what I have heard.

Thanks for your help by the way. You've helped out quite a bit. I guess if I go water pump ill get something like the H70 I wont go to a whole setup. I just really dont want anything overheating since I have had to deal with that so much with my M1730.
m
l
March 17, 2011 7:45:04 PM

that info might be wrong, my GTX 560 Ti overclocked to 999/4444 is pretty much on par with stock GTX 570 speeds. minus a FPS or two... that is why i bought the 560, it overclocks like hell and can reach 570 performance.

And for what it is worth, the Sandy Bridge 2600k will not overheat even at 4.5 if you have a hyper 212+
m
l
March 21, 2011 1:55:43 AM

Best answer selected by mwiced.
m
l
!