Here's my (likely final) SandyBridge upgrade.

fools79

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
So here's what I am currently running,

Phenom II x2 55BE
Xigmatek LOKI cpu cooler
G-skill DDR3 1333 2x2gb
Msi 880gm-e41 am3 mobo
HIS Radeon HD 6850
Corsair builder's series 500w psu
Lite-on 24x DVDR/RW
Xigmatek Asguard II

And here's what I'm keeping,

G-skill DDR3 1333 2x2gb
HIS Radeon HD 6850
Corsair builder's series 500w psu
Lite-on 24x DVDR/RW
Xigmatek Asguard II

And here's what I am thinking of getting for an upgrade,

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
ASUS P8P67-M (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa 120mm Long life CPU Cooler

I am going to be using my rig for for moderate to heavy gaming, school work, light graphic design work,and as a htpc.
I am currently using a resolution of 1280x720, but I plan to upgrade my monitor before the next elder scrolls game comes out (November) to 1920x1080.

I want any and all suggestions for possibly better cost or performance. The only thing I am wondering about is my motherboard, also I not sure if I will want to crossfire/sli and would like feedback on it.

Thanks in advance :bounce:

I don't believe any of the P67 boards have 16x/16x PCIe slots for dual GPUs (or 8x/8x for that matter). You will have to wait for Z67 motherboards if that is indeed what you are wanting.

Does "moderate to heavy gaming, school work, light graphic design work,and as a htpc" = overclocking? If not, then save some money and get the non-K series processor.

Good call on the 8x/8x... Keep in mind that board is a microATX. While the differences between 8x/8x and 16x/16x are minimal, you are buying high end parts. IMHO, wait for 16x/16x and don't "limit" your potential dual GPUs down the road, however you probably won't be disappointed either way...

fools79

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Will the matx board affect crossfire in any way. Also should I upgrade my ram at some point?

Should not affect running dual GPUs, but will limit your ability to add additional cards if you have any.

On the memory front... just move the 4GB of G.Skill DDR3-1333 over to the new build and see where you stand (perfmon is your friend). 4GB is enough for most applications, but down the road you will likely be wanting another 4GB.

fools79

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
So then down the road I am likely looking at a second 6850. and getting ethier another 4 gig or a new 8 gig set of ram. On a side note as long as cards are both the same model in this case 6850, then nothing else like aftermarket cooling or brand don't matter right?

That motherboard is not SLI-ready. While crossfire is supported, one of the cards in crossfire would run in 4x mode (not ideal).

Using the P8P67-M motherboard, I would consider using a strong single card which would require upgrading the 6850 to a radeon 6900 series or gtx 560 or above series card. The other option is you could upgrade your motherboard to the P8P67-M Pro which offers 8x/8x for dual cards (comparable performance to x16/x16) and SLI support in addition to crossfire support.

Additionally, if you choose to go with the two video card setup (crossfire or sli), you will also need to upgrade your PSU. The amount of power you'll need will depend on the video cards you decide to go with. Currently you have 34A on the 12V rail which is a little more than enough to support a single performance video card in addition to the rest of your components using this rail (ie CPU).

You're right. I was slow responding to your original post and by the time I hit submit, all those other guys posted responses. The pro edition or better will get you what you need.