rainbowdog

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I just bought a brand new computer, and the day I started it up there were artifacts on the screen. I figured it was the graphics card so I switched it out. No dice, same problem. I tried switching two cards in between two slots trying to find the problem. No combination deemed any results, so I figured it was my motherboard. I RMA'd my motherboard and got a brand new one, and I'm STILL getting the problem. I'm not sure what is causing this, but I'm getting very random artifacts on random images and severe artifacts in games.

Both of the graphics cards used are 9800gt. The motherboard is an Asus M4A78T-E.

Here's a picture of google images:
sicki.png

I tried getting a screenshot of one of my games but it would either turn out black or would print screen the windows on the desktop, like the game wasn't even there. The game I try to play, Heroes of Newerth, is absolutely unplayable.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

iggybeans

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I was going to question your calling this an artifact till I saw your picture. Those definitely LOOK like artifacts. Have you tried a different display? I've occasionally had problems with my display due to a bad connection, cable, or display.

400w for just a card <_< that is 150w more than a GTX 470. Actually to run one card that psu is enough unless there is defect. However each card under max overclocking and load can only draw 105w on stock volts. For sli a 400w unit isn't going to cut it. The only way to make sure that it is not due to low voltage from the psu is to measure the boot up value (in bios) the voltage on the 12v source/rail and then check with in windows by the use of a utility. Any thing bellow 11.5v on the 12v rail warrants a upgrade or replacement as you go low stability gets worse. Also if possible test each card separately to see if there is any results if not try them in another machine as both could be duds.