Budget Range:900 usd or less

System Usage from Most to Least Important: photo editing and gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.pcx.com.ph

Country of Origin: Philippines

Parts Preferences: any brand that is reliable and not overpriced

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: idk for the moment, the higher the better but if i go for an expensive build i will be using an old 15" crt monitor, for lack of funds

Additional Comments:

Hi all,

first time asker here. well, im thinking on a new build, but i cant decide in which build i should choose, and i would really like some help right now.

*first off im an occasional gamer, (meaning i can only play games when my daughter is asleep, usually very early in the morning). but even though i cant play all the tmie, whenever i do, i still like playing my games as maxed out as possible. the games i play are first person shooters, rpg ( either 2d or 3d, i like them both if the story is good) and some rts (starcraft mainly).

* i dont have any interest in overclocking my rig and dont have the resources to go dual on video cards.

*also, i regularly edit pictures (in raw format). sometimes i use photoshop, lightroom or gimp, but there are times that i have all 3 of them open. (also while this is happening i will always have my browser and torrent client open in the background)

*i'm building this pc in hopes that it would still be relevant 3-5 yrs from now

so, enough of the background, these are the two buils that im looking at, it's amd vs intel (again).
i would also like to inform you that if i go for the more expensive intel, i wouldnt have enough money to buy a new lcd monitoR, and will be forced to use my old 15 inch crt monitor.

INTEL BUILD:

CPU: CORE I5 2500 (NON K) 3.3GHZ
MOBO: GIGABYTE H67MA-UD2H XFIRE/S/L/DDR3 (only non intel H67 board available in our region)
RAM: KINGSTON 4GB 1333 some DDR3 (i plan on adding to these when i get some cash)
HDD: 500GB WD SATA3 (i honestly dont need more cause i like to keep my os lean and clean)
VIDEO CARD: INNO3D OR EVGA GTX460 OC 1GB DDR5 750MHZ (price is the same)
ODD: LITEON 24X DVDR
CASE : THERMALTAKE V4 MESH BLACK
PSU: ACBEL 650W 80+

AMD BUILD:

CPU: PHENOM X6 1055T 2.8 GHZ
MOBO:MSI 880GMA - E45
RAM: KINGSTON 4GB 1333 some DDR3 (i plan on adding to these when i get some cash)
HDD: 500GB WD SATA3 (i honestly dont need more cause i like to keep my os lean and clean)
VIDEO CARD: INNO3D OR EVGA GTX460 OC 1GB DDR5 750MHZ (price is the same)
ODD: LITEON 24X DVDR
CASE : THERMALTAKE V4 MESH BLACK
PSU: ACBEL 650W 80+

i am puchasing these from this website "pcx.com.ph". keep in mind availability is an issue in our region, so please if you're going to suggest something, please take a peek on the website to see what alternative hardware is being offered. thanks!!

and also the intel build is the most expensive build my pockets can afford.

Solution
If you can afford the Intel build, then that is the route to go for a 3-5 year investment. The AMD rig would be fine as well, but it is already a step behind SB...

HDD - Not a fan of WD, but I also don't see Samsung F3 hard drives on that web site. The Samsung F3 500GB is a great drive and is highly recommended if you can venture to other suppliers.

RAM - Kingston ram is OK at best. Not finding the Kinston HyperX line of memory, but I do see Corsair XMS. The XMS memory is the way I would go.

PSU - Not familar with Acbel and it may work just fine, but I would go with the Corsair TX series that they have in stock. Corsair has a proven track record.
If you can afford the Intel build, then that is the route to go for a 3-5 year investment. The AMD rig would be fine as well, but it is already a step behind SB...

HDD - Not a fan of WD, but I also don't see Samsung F3 hard drives on that web site. The Samsung F3 500GB is a great drive and is highly recommended if you can venture to other suppliers.

RAM - Kingston ram is OK at best. Not finding the Kinston HyperX line of memory, but I do see Corsair XMS. The XMS memory is the way I would go.

PSU - Not familar with Acbel and it may work just fine, but I would go with the Corsair TX series that they have in stock. Corsair has a proven track record.

Solution

BADGJ31

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
What about the XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W PSU? It's on sale for $90 - $10 with code EMCKGJE53 - $30 Mail in Rebate = $50 AR w/ Free Shipping. It gets a good review on the Toms Hardware PSU list "XFX XXX Edition 650W" and is cheaper than dirt.

jetzeroeight

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
well, yeah. but it's not really available in our region. the thing is, if i buy outside our country there would be additional shipping costs.

btw do you think 600w is too much power, can i get away with 500w psu?

thanks!

BADGJ31

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Sorry, I forgot to read about your location and preferred website before recommending the XFX.

600W will work, but only if you are not planning on overclocking (which would be difficult without a "K" version CPU) or adding a second graphics card in SLI. The GTX 460 should run just fine with 600W. Use any online PSU Calculater - specifically http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp to double check.