Will Asus P5GC41C-MLX mobo support Transcend JM1333KLN-2G DDR3 2GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

one_love

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
My old Ram was DDR2 is faulty. So if anybody knows if I can use Transcend JM1333KLN-2G DDR3 2GB 1333MHz RAM. When I checked the Asus website this mobo support DDR2 and DDR3 RAM its has different slots for both, it says that DDR3 1333MHz (O.C) is only supported if I do overclocking. I never have my hand on overclocking and I am also afraid of doing it because if I done something wrong it will damage my processor or the new RAM.

So can I use Transcend JM1333KLN-2G on this motherboard, is it downward compatible?
I have a different machine which has Biostar 3200+ motherboard and I used Kingston DDR3 4GB RAM its has 1333MHz FSB but the motherboard support only 1066MHz but Kingston 1333MHz works well, this may because Kingston is downward compatible i think.

Please Can Somebody help.

Solution
Asus can be picky about ram, but the transcend ram will probably work if it's 1.5v; it will probably run at the slower default speed of 800 or 1066. As you probably know, you can't mix ddr2 and ddr3 ram. Try the transcend ram if it's a single stick in the ddr3 ram slot closest to the cpu. And don't worry too much about speed; slower ram defaults to faster timing numbers; for timings, lower numbers are faster.
Asus can be picky about ram, but the transcend ram will probably work if it's 1.5v; it will probably run at the slower default speed of 800 or 1066. As you probably know, you can't mix ddr2 and ddr3 ram. Try the transcend ram if it's a single stick in the ddr3 ram slot closest to the cpu. And don't worry too much about speed; slower ram defaults to faster timing numbers; for timings, lower numbers are faster.

Solution

one_love

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

Thanks for your quick reply. I can't try transcend RAM before hand. Its my friend PC he wish to buy same DDR2 RAM. I told him that DDR3 RAM's are available at half price that of DDR2 and request him if I can buy DDR3 RAM for him. And only problem that was that I don't know about the transcend RAM downward compatibility with the motherboard.

I am going to buy the transcend JM1333KLN-2GB-DDR3 RAM for him. And thank you to solve my problem?

Only one doubt in my mind, Can you tell me if its the motherboard or the RAM which makes it compatible? As on my machine which has Kingston RAM 1333MHz on Biostar 3200+ mobo which has maximum 1066MHz RAM support capabilities.

It's the board bios options that make some ram compatable. You have to know how to work with your board bios; oem boards by dell and hp have almost no memory bios settings to adjust; that's why they're a bad choice for upgrades. Asus is usually fine for bios options, but any boards they make for oem systems have fewer bios options. As long as your board is asus, and not made for hp, gateway, or dell, you should be fine.

one_love

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

Its not OEM motherboards my BIOSTAR and the ASUS motherboard, the whole machine is assembled. I do assembling of PC or replacing any faulty components. I also know the bios and I use it regularly when changing the boot sequence of HDD and even damaged 1 DDR1 RAM when changing the timing of the RAM on old system from than I never play with timing. I only change FSB of RAM and CPU but that also I don't do because I am using a stock cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.