Video Editing WorkStation Question Please Help!

tazandsim

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I am looking to build a workstation that will run 24/7 and do video rendering quickly. I looked at the i7 SandyBridge and I've looked at a bunch of other options but it seems this build would work the best for the applications I would use.

What do you think?

CPU: Two Intel Xeon E5620 2.4GHz LGA1366 Quad-Core
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z8NA-D6C Dual LGA 1366 ATX
RAM: Patriot Viper II 24GB (6 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
VIDEO CARD: Sapphire Radeon 5770 FleX – Supports 3 DVI monitors
SSD HD: Intel X25-M 2.5″ 80GB SSD
HD: Four Samsung F3 500GB RAID 10: Capacity: 1TB
BURNER: LG 10X Blu-ray Burner SATA
POWER: CORSAIR 850W 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular
CASE: Corsair Graphite Series 600T w/ fan speed control
CPU FAN: Two Supermicro Intel Xeon 4U CPU Cooler

Sandy Bridge Build or this?
What would be a good Sandy Bridge Build that would give me the same processing power?

Solution

If you're looking to spend that amount of money then I'm sure you''re using an application capable of taking advantage of multiple cores / threads. If that's the case then there isn't a single-chip LGA1155 solution that would touch the specs listed.
An argument might be made for a dual G34 AMD Opteron alternative, but that would be more of an apples to apples comparison.

I'd also look to swap that SSD with one of the new generation (Intel 510 or even better OCZ Vertex 3 when they hit the retailers).

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

If you're looking to spend that amount of money then I'm sure you''re using an application capable of taking advantage of multiple cores / threads. If that's the case then there isn't a single-chip LGA1155 solution that would touch the specs listed.
An argument might be made for a dual G34 AMD Opteron alternative, but that would be more of an apples to apples comparison.

I'd also look to swap that SSD with one of the new generation (Intel 510 or even better OCZ Vertex 3 when they hit the retailers).

Solution