Sign in with
Your question

Best cheaper motherboard to go with my i5 2500k?

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2011 2:51:10 PM

I am going to do a build soon (about as soon as I can pick a motherboard). My processor is an i5 2500k 1155 socket, and I was just wondering if anyone could help me pick a motherboard. I like what I have heard about the P8P67-M Pro B3, but I generally don't like micro ATX motherboards and the ATX version of the same board is out of my price range.

I am looking for the best motherboard I can get for $160 or less. I do plan to do some overclocking (why get a 2500k if you weren't? lol). Also, I plan on using the stock cooler at first to see how far I can get it to go, then probably upgrade to a 212+ cooler.

Here are some of the boards I have been looking at, but feel free to recommend other boards:

ASUS P8P67 B3
ASUS P8P67 LE B3
ASUS P8P67-M Pro B3
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3
MSI P67A-C43 B3

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Here is the rest of my build:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
Motherboard: undecided
Processor: Intel i5 2500k
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
Disk drive: ASUS Black 24X SATA DVD burner
GPU: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2011 3:07:22 PM

Hello chmcke01;
You can get a CPU/CPU cooler combo deal on the i5 2500K.
Getting it now and installing before you put the motherboard into the case will keep you from having to take the motherboard out to install a CPU cooler backing plate later.

Will you want to use a 2nd video card in CrossfireX?
For example; MSI P67A-C43 has only 1 PCI-e x16 slot.

a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2011 3:25:32 PM

That Asrock mother board will be on newegg within the next two weeks for the same price as listed down below.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67-EX4&tit... $153.99
ASRock P67 Extreme4 LGA1155/ Intel P67/ DDR3/ Quad SLI & Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard - P67 EXTREME4

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000116#axzz1... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1098/pg2/asrock-e... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4080/welcome-to-sandy-bri... <--- Review before the latest bios...and it still smoked the Asus and Gigabyte boards :) 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Extre... <----- ASRock P67 Extreme4 Motherboard
Related resources
March 16, 2011 3:30:07 PM

No, no plans to add additional video cards. Its mostly a workstation (mostly just working with VMs) and a little gaming but with a single 42" 1080i TV as the monitor.
March 16, 2011 5:25:18 PM

The more I look at that Asrock the more it seems like thats the way to go! Just wish it would hurry up, this is going to be by far the best computer I have ever had (heck, it will be the best computer I have ever laid my hands on, lol).

Why_Me said:
That Asrock mother board will be on newegg within the next two weeks for the same price as listed down below.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67-EX4&tit... $153.99
ASRock P67 Extreme4 LGA1155/ Intel P67/ DDR3/ Quad SLI & Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard - P67 EXTREME4

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000116#axzz1... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1098/pg2/asrock-e... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4080/welcome-to-sandy-bri... <--- Review before the latest bios...and it still smoked the Asus and Gigabyte boards :) 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Extre... <----- ASRock P67 Extreme4 Motherboard

March 16, 2011 6:01:55 PM

Yes it does, it lists a 1 x 12V(8Pin) connection.
March 17, 2011 12:16:19 AM

I called Newegg, but they said they had no information about when/if the Asrock P67 motherboards would be back. Why did you say that they would be available in two weeks? What is your source?
March 17, 2011 12:20:26 AM

Also, I have decided I will just go ahead and get a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ right off the bat, and Arctic Silver 5. One question, will I need to buy that cleaner stuff to clean it off before applying the Arctic Silver 5? I just don't know, sometimes the thermal grease comes pre-applied and sometimes it isn't.
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 12:44:30 AM

You can leave out the AS5. The Hyper 212+ comes with it's own thermal compound in the accessory pack.
That tube in the lower left. Just above, in the center, you can see the backing plate that goes on the back side of the motherboard.
March 17, 2011 1:15:43 AM

WR2 said:
You can leave out the AS5. The Hyper 212+ comes with it's own thermal compound in the accessory pack.
That tube in the lower left. Just above, in the center, you can see the backing plate that goes on the back side of the motherboard.

I was going to use the stock stuff, but I read a few reviews on Newegg where people used the stock paste for a while, then switched to the Arctic Silver and that alone dropped temps about 10C. Don't know if this is at all common, but just the Arctic Silver is only about $7 off of Amazon or $12 if I get the stuff to clean off the old thermal grease also.

Have you had a different experience with the stock grease?
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 1:53:17 AM

10C difference? That might be possible if they made an error installing the thermal compound or CPU cooler in the first place.
There is usually only about a few degrees difference in the best to worst performance among the many different thermal compounds.

CM thermal compound tested here:
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 1:55:42 AM

I think for the combined cost of the CM Hyper 212+ and AS5 you'd be better off getting a better CPU cooler in the first place.
You'd get better cooing performance going that direction.
March 17, 2011 2:13:16 AM

I will just stick with the 212+ and the grease that comes with it then, and see how it goes. I just wish the boards would become available. I did talk Newegg into giving me a small break on the i5 2500k though :) 
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 2:46:03 AM

That $15 off they're giving everyone else?

Here are the results of a monster 80 item thermal compound review.
It looks like the CM thermal compound is about 1.5C off the top performer.
March 17, 2011 2:56:50 AM

WR2 said:
That $15 off they're giving everyone else?

Here are the results of a monster 80 item thermal compound review.
It looks like the CM thermal compound is about 1.5C off the top performer.

I don't know. I know Tiger Direct has it for $230, Newegg for $220, and Micro Center has it for $180. I live nowhere near a Micro Center or I would just go there, but just to check I did instant chat with Newegg to ask if they could price match. They said no, but they could meet me in the middle and sell it to me for $200. Not sure if thats what you were talking about or not.
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 3:01:51 AM

That's good to know about NewEgg doing a bit of price matching.
March 17, 2011 3:04:54 AM

Shin-Etsu MicroSi G751 should be at your local fry's right now for $5.99
March 17, 2011 3:15:13 AM

Well hopefully it will work out. The guy I talked to said how it would work is I would pay full price for it, then I need to just call back and there will be a note on my account to give me a $20 refund.

I don't have any Frys in my state, let alone near me...lol

What are some examples of actual stores that sell computer parts that might already have some of the fixed P67 motherboards back already?
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 3:28:50 AM

I expect the replacement boards to show in the big e-tailers lke NewEgg first.
The brick and mortar places usually have stock shipped from distribution centers which just takes longer. NewEgg and TigerDirect ARE the distribution centers.
March 17, 2011 7:23:53 PM

Well, its in stock at SuperBiiz right now for $153 plus $17 shipping. Newegg got back with me about the ETA and they said they don't anticipate having them in stock until around April 15th. What should I do?!?!
March 17, 2011 8:45:05 PM

I went ahead and purchased my case, power supply, processor, RAM, HDD, and DVD drive. Everything but my motherboard and GPU. Total spent so far before rebates (well, this is after instant rebates, before MIRs and ones that I just need to wait) is $513. After rebates it will be $450.

If I buy the motherboard from SuperBiiz for $170 total that will bring my total spent to $683 before rebates and $620 after rebates. That just leaves my GPU, which I will probably end up just waiting on and taking a crappy one out out of an old computer so that I am not dropping so much money all at once.

Do you think I should buy the one from SuperBiiz now, or wait it out?
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 9:38:07 PM

Does SuperBiiz actually have the boards? Or are they just listing them. Maybe for pre-order?
March 17, 2011 9:56:50 PM

Appears to be in stock. Talked to a couple people on another forum that claim to have ordered one yesterday and it shipped today
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 10:01:19 PM

That's good news. It's probably a good idea to get one ordered before everyone else figures out they are in stock there.
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 10:02:07 PM

I'm sure the number they have can't be all that large if no one else is stocking them yet.
March 17, 2011 10:08:35 PM

Well I guess my real question is this, after shipping it is more expensive than the ASUS P8P67 (regular) B3. The ASUS is $165 total and the Asrock is $170 total. The price isn't the issue, just want to make sure the Asrock is the better of the two choices before I order.
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 10:35:20 PM

The ASUS P8P67 doesn't quite compete in features with the Arock Extreme4. P8P67 has 2x PCI-e X16 that run at x16/x4 for dual video cards and is CrossfireX only.
Arock Extreme4 has 2x PCI-e X16 that run at x8/x8 for dual video cards and is CFX and SLI capable.
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 10:38:01 PM

Arock Extreme4 / Asus P8P67-Pro / Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 are the x8/x8 CFX & SLI versions most people will be going after.

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 is also CFX only @ x16/x4.
March 18, 2011 1:43:33 AM

Well, I broke down and ordered it (I was expecting like $155 total, not plus shipping, plus their shipping rates are outrageous).

So, all of my parts are ordered and on the way, except for my 5770.
March 18, 2011 5:09:50 PM

I am so MAD! I HATE SuperBiiz!

First, shipping is crazy expensive (like $18), and I just got an email saying that they accidentally sold more the the Extreme4's than they had so they were first-come-first served and I didn't get one because enough people that had ordered earlier in the day that they were out by the time I ordered.

They said to check back next week. Now I don't know what I am going to do, check back next week or just wait for it to get to Newegg or Amazon. Everything else is already on its way though. :( 
March 18, 2011 7:17:21 PM

Yep same thing happened to me. I ordered one at around 10PM on Wednesday 3/17, got an email Thursday morning that they were sold out already and that more would be coming in next week.

I said "screw that" and cancelled my order, went to Fry's and got a ASUS P8P67 Pro for 189.99 + Tax. A little more than I wanted to pay, but I wanted my board since everything else was on the way.
March 18, 2011 10:09:03 PM

inishoc said:
Yep same thing happened to me. I ordered one at around 10PM on Wednesday 3/17, got an email Thursday morning that they were sold out already and that more would be coming in next week.

I said "screw that" and cancelled my order, went to Fry's and got a ASUS P8P67 Pro for 189.99 + Tax. A little more than I wanted to pay, but I wanted my board since everything else was on the way.

That makes me even more mad, I ordered mine at around 4PM on Thursday, and got the email Friday morning saying that they were sold out. If they were sold out already Thursday morning why would they even let me order one several hours later?

I wish I had a Frys, I don't know of any computer parts stores anywhere near me. What are some examples of stores, like Frys, that have stores all over the country? We used to have a PC repair place that sold parts but they went out of business. I don't even know of any national stores though.
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2011 10:15:19 PM

I wonder how many others had the same problem?
It's been a rough couple of years for the brick and mortar PC stores.
The e-tailers have really pushed them near the extinct category.
Fry's and Microcenter are the only two I check on a regular basis.
March 19, 2011 3:43:06 AM

I just checked SuperBiiz again, and it STILL shows the Extreme4 in stock!

I was planning on buying it from them when they "supposedly" were going to get a new shipment next week, but now I think I might be upset enough to just wait until Newegg gets a shipment (when I called and talked to them they said they expect to offer them for sale around mid April).
March 20, 2011 5:42:55 AM

What size fan comes stock with the 2500k? Is it possible to add it to the 212+ to setup push/pull? Or is it the wrong size or type?
March 20, 2011 5:49:45 AM

:heink: 
Why_Me said:
http://www.ncixus.com/products/107/1301/Motherboards/LG... <--- No Asrock extreme4 on there yet :(  But there's some boards on there worth taking a look at imo.

hey i ordered from ncix.com and they price matched for me using a asrock extreme4 that was in stock on superblizz. Awesome site to order from if you price match, and my asrock extreme4 is on its way ! :)  also got the intel 2500k pricematched to $209, pretty good
March 20, 2011 6:10:14 AM

Thanks, I just sent them a message asking them to price match it for me.
March 20, 2011 12:35:57 PM

I can't find much about NCIXUS. Are they a reputable company? I really like their real-time stock check. I just had never heard of SuperBiiz or NCIXUS before trying to find this motherboard, so I don't know anything about them. Which is the most reputable?

Assuming they will price match, NCIXUS will still be $4 more expensive because their shipping costs more. That said, I really want to stay away from SuperBiiz if I can because it is just crazy that they apparently sold out before Wednesday, but they still had it listed as in stock when I ordered it on Thursday and as of writing this post it STILL shows as in stock.

I mainly just have a few questions about it. First, is NCIXUS a good place to buy parts from? What kind of return policy do they have on defective items?

Next, if you add shipping into the cost formula, on Tiger Direct you can get the ASUS P8P67 Pro (micro version) for $10 less than the Extreme4 or you can get the full ATX version for only about $20 more than the Extreme4.

If someone could answer this question I would really appreciate it...IF all three of these were the same price, how would you rank them? In other words, disregarding price, which one is best, which is second best, and which is the worst?
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 12:53:03 PM

NCIXUS is a reputable company. NCIX.com is the parent company and may be Canada's premier online computer store.
NCIXUS is NCIX doing business in the US similar to NewEgg.ca doing business in Canada.

Customer Care Center Frequently Asked Questions covers ordering and returns
https://secure.ncixus.com/customercare/
March 20, 2011 12:57:18 PM

chmcke01 said:
I can't find much about NCIXUS. Are they a reputable company? I really like their real-time stock check. I just had never heard of SuperBiiz or NCIXUS before trying to find this motherboard, so I don't know anything about them. Which is the most reputable?

Assuming they will price match, NCIXUS will still be $4 more expensive because their shipping costs more. That said, I really want to stay away from SuperBiiz if I can because it is just crazy that they apparently sold out before Wednesday, but they still had it listed as in stock when I ordered it on Thursday and as of writing this post it STILL shows as in stock.

I mainly just have a few questions about it. First, is NCIXUS a good place to buy parts from? What kind of return policy do they have on defective items?

Next, if you add shipping into the cost formula, on Tiger Direct you can get the ASUS P8P67 Pro (micro version) for $10 less than the Extreme4 or you can get the full ATX version for only about $20 more than the Extreme4.

If someone could answer this question I would really appreciate it...IF all three of these were the same price, how would you rank them? In other words, disregarding price, which one is best, which is second best, and which is the worst?

i just said that asrock price matched for me using super blizz's price of 153.99 lolll
it seems reputable, i have already ordered from them, they have a 7 or 30 day return policy, oh with the insurance and express rma you have 30 days, and they do express shipping if there is anything wrong with the item for like 3% of the purchase price, not sure what more i can tell you since i have not received the item yet. but i also ordered the intel 2500k cpu from them instead of newegg cause they pricematched that for me for $209 and its in a retail box and not oem. i guess its better if you are in canada? cause they seemed to be based in vancouver, not sure if they have other locations in the states. my guess is the shipping isn't going to be as fast as newegg, but shouldn't be to fast as they shipped it the day after i ordered.
March 20, 2011 2:08:36 PM

Thanks, I will feel much better about ordering from them now. I just hope they actually do price-match, their website says that they do not price-match at this time.I will order one as soon as they get back to me about the price-match.
!