Question about SD

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 10, 2005 12:11:08 PM

Hi

I am about to purchase my first digital camera, and also an extra SD card.
(It seems that all the cameras I have looked at only include a 16MB card,
which seems a little small).

It appears there are different "types" of SD - I have seen terms like "ULTRA
II", "32x", "40x", "66x". I assume these represent some measure of the data
transfer speed. But what really is the best and what is the minimum
"acceptable"? What differences would I see with a "Panasonic FZ20" camera?

Also, are there brands to steer away from? I notice "sandisk" a lot, so
maybe this is a market leader?

Thanks,
Peter

More about : question

February 10, 2005 12:11:09 PM

Peter wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am about to purchase my first digital camera, and also an extra SD card.
> (It seems that all the cameras I have looked at only include a 16MB card,
> which seems a little small).
>
> It appears there are different "types" of SD - I have seen terms like
> "ULTRA II", "32x", "40x", "66x". I assume these represent some measure of
> the data transfer speed. But what really is the best and what is the
> minimum "acceptable"? What differences would I see with a "Panasonic FZ20"
> camera?

Need to know what camera. Most can't actually use the speeds over 40X and
unless it's a large MP camera, even the slower cards work fine.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Panasonic FZ20 is 5 MP camera, so 32X write speed would be a good
minimum though 40X may give you a slight edge.
Sandisk is very good, as is Lexar. Because of quality/warranty
concerns, generic brands should be avoided.
Related resources
February 10, 2005 12:38:05 PM

"Stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Peter wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am about to purchase my first digital camera, and also an extra SD
card.
> > (It seems that all the cameras I have looked at only include a 16MB
card,
> > which seems a little small).
> >
> > It appears there are different "types" of SD - I have seen terms like
> > "ULTRA II", "32x", "40x", "66x". I assume these represent some measure
of
> > the data transfer speed. But what really is the best and what is the
> > minimum "acceptable"? What differences would I see with a "Panasonic
FZ20"
> > camera?
> >

> Need to know what camera. Most can't actually use the speeds over 40X and
> unless it's a large MP camera, even the slower cards work fine.

It's a "Panasonic FZ20".
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:38:06 PM

I'll bet dimes to dollars that Panasonic has an approved cards list. Better
check that out before buying.

!