Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Photoshop & Video editing PC build

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2011 4:17:17 PM

Have the following PC set up and it will be used for photoshop CS5 and home video editing:

CPU: Phenom II X2 555 3.2GHz Dual Core
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX
GPU: ECS GTS 250 Black Series 1GB 256-bit GDDR3
MEMORY: 4GB A-DATA Gaming Series (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W

I'm not that familiar with the requirements of photo and video editing and was wondering if upgrading to a X4 955 and tossing another 4GB of memory would be a worthwhile upgrade or if the current set up would handle what I'm looking to do just fine as is.

Best solution

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2011 2:03:32 PM

Hello imaurer269;

Is this a gaming build? You've included a gaming video card and a PSU large enough it looks like you plan to add a 2nd video card?
But your motherboard is CrossfireX and not SLI (2x Nvidia cards)

Your build list will do OK for PS CS5 and video editing.
It will benefit from a X4 955 CPU upgrade more than 4GB more RAM.
Related resources
March 17, 2011 3:12:06 PM

Well I already have all the parts I listed and the computer was built for budget entry level gaming. The person who wants to buy it is not a gamer and will be using it for video and photo editing. I got a really good deal on the PSU ($35 after MIR) and never intended on crossfire(I would have got a 8x/8x board if so). I did do some research and did swap out the 555 with the 955. I was kinda surprised, didn't see a big difference in speed when multitasking as I did all the windows/driver/software updates and installed a few other programs. And man the 955 stock cooler is way louder than the 555.
m
l
March 17, 2011 4:03:29 PM

Yeah I had compared the 2 CPU's there when doing research on rather or not it was worthwhile to upgrade. I was just a little disappointed when going from the 555 to the 955 but I only did few things for a couple of hours after I switched them out. The windows experience score and the other couple of benchmarks I ran did show an improvement. I think the HDD and possibly the motherboard made the computer feel a little slower than what I'm used to, last few builds I have done have been with Spinpoint F3's or WD blacks and newer mobo's. I'm still just a newb at building PC's that was just my 6th one, still getting a feel for how different components perform when all put together.
m
l
March 24, 2011 12:56:20 AM

Best answer selected by imaurer269.
m
l
!