That Time of Year - New Motherboard / CPU / RAM

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Ok,

So I'm looking to replace my old motherboard so that I can make use of DDR3 RAM, but I'm not really sure what route to take. Recently I've gotten into gaming, so that's the main focus here.

Here's my current setup....

QuadCore AMD Phenom II x4 Black Edition 995 3.2GHz (overclocked to 3.8GHz)
Asus M3A-H/HDMI Motherboard (AMD 780G / K10)
8GB DDR2-800 RAM
Radeon HD 6950 GPU 2GB
Dual Screen (1 x 23" HD Monitor, 1 x 32" HDTV - Both with 1920 x 1080 native res.)

I'm really happy with my graphics card and dual monitor setup. The CPU performs well too, although I am aware that there is much better out there now. RAM needs to be DDR3.

I've got a budget of about £300. So, trying to get the best performance for the money, do I just get a new motherboard with DDR3 and keep my current CPU, or replace the Motherboard, RAM and CPU in one go. Really looking for some hardware recommendations. Need UK sources - I've bought from Novatech and eBuyer before so I trust them.

Any opinions or ideas?

Thanks guys and girls!

Ecotox

I have the Sabertooth 990FX and its the new one i'd recommend.has alot of great features, and supports your CPU, if you were to ever upgrade you CPU. its FX ready.. I can confirm the 955 works in it because i used that CPU before in it. not sure if you were asking for ram or a mobo so thats a good mobo. As for RAM i don't have a particular brand preference. As long as it meets my criteria:
1.Has the amount i need
2.Speed i want and Latency doesn't matter much to me
3.Brands are not much of a preference as long as its not PNY or any off brand or low quality brand
4.Reviews
5.Price

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks Alvine but I'm happy with my GPU.

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Wow, that was quick! Thanks! I like the look of the Intel chip. Do you happen to know if it can be overclocked at all, or even if I'd need to?

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I notice people are going ASUS on the Motherboard so far - are they the most reliable manufacturer at present or just happen to have the best performance boards for the price?

TRENDING THREADS