Sign in with
Your question

HD 5870 aftermarket coolers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2011 11:51:37 PM

I have two XFX HD 5870's running in crossfire on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard. When gaming I have the fans set high and the noise from the fans is terrible. I recently bought 2 Zalman VF3000A aftermarket coolers. I pulled both video cards out and removed the stock coolers. I installed one of the Zalmans on the first video card and installed it back in the computer for a test run... Everything went fine until I looked for the slot for the second video card. Guess what???? The new cooler covers it.
Nothing on the box stated that is cooler takes up a total of 3 bays including the one for the video card. Much to my surprise all other coolers I looked at requred 3 bays... I 've looked at other Zalman, Artic Cooling, Thermalright and Thermaltake. None of these are 2 bay coolers (including the video cards)
Any thoughts????
Thanks in advance.....
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2011 12:10:39 AM

I haven't seen a true 2 bay aftermarket cooler yet cept watercooling
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2011 12:24:09 AM

Just about all of the aftermarket gpu heatsinks turn out to be huge beasts.

Out of curiosity, which pc case do you have? How is the ventilation, airflow, and case cooling?
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2011 12:26:41 AM

All the major players use up 3 bays I've found. Looks like the second HD 5870 will sit for awhile......damn
m
l
January 22, 2011 12:40:40 AM

Found my solution
New MB
Asus Rampage III Extreme.... 4X Crossfire/SLI with good spacing between 1st and 3rd PCie slots.....
Super for overclocking as well...........
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2011 1:24:07 AM

Mikeu48 said:
Found my solution
New MB
Asus Rampage III Extreme.... 4X Crossfire/SLI with good spacing between 1st and 3rd PCie slots.....
Super for overclocking as well...........

Yeah that mobo has great reviews for overclocking
m
l
January 28, 2011 11:08:16 PM

VERY happy with it so far. Had to return the first one as it was DOA. Second one running like a champ. Couldn't resist and replaced my Cosmos 1000 for a HAF X....Much better cooling....
m
l
!