IBM ThinkPad 600E- what kind of O/S?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 11, 2005 6:43:55 PM

I've just bought an old 600E Thinkpad, which came with Win 98 (not SE).
People have told me these laptops are not gutsy enough for Windows XP, which
is fair enough since it's probably 10 years old- should I install Win 98SE,
or might it run OK on a slightly more recent O/S? I haven't bought any new
O/S yet, but some of the software I tried to install would not work on Win
98.
--
Benny
*******

More about : ibm thinkpad 600e kind

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2005 6:43:56 PM

You have a 366 or 400 mhz. I have ran win xp on a 120mhz laptop. As
long as you have ram I would say at lest 256 you are ok. You will be
fine with winxp pro or home.

Benny wrote:
> I've just bought an old 600E Thinkpad, which came with Win 98 (not
SE).
> People have told me these laptops are not gutsy enough for Windows
XP, which
> is fair enough since it's probably 10 years old- should I install Win
98SE,
> or might it run OK on a slightly more recent O/S? I haven't bought
any new
> O/S yet, but some of the software I tried to install would not work
on Win
> 98.
> --
> Benny
> *******
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2005 6:43:56 PM

ple@se.reply.to.newsgroup.only (Benny) wrote in
news:D 3cvae$9ar$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au:

> I've just bought an old 600E Thinkpad, which came with Win 98 (not
> SE). People have told me these laptops are not gutsy enough for
> Windows XP, which is fair enough since it's probably 10 years old-
> should I install Win 98SE, or might it run OK on a slightly more
> recent O/S? I haven't bought any new O/S yet, but some of the
> software I tried to install would not work on Win 98.

I run XP Pro on an old P-II 3xxMHz 600E.

It's been a while since I moved it from Win98, so I don't recall the
specifics of the installation, but there was info on IBM's Web site
somewhere. Spend some time wandering around IBM's Web site and you
should still find the drivers you'll need.

Don't try to do an upgrade; do a clean install of XP.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
Related resources

Bert Hyman wrote:
> ple@se.reply.to.newsgroup.only (Benny) wrote in
> news:D 3cvae$9ar$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au:
>

>>I've just bought an old 600E Thinkpad, which came with Win 98 (not
>>SE). People have told me these laptops are not gutsy enough for
>>Windows XP, which is fair enough since it's probably 10 years old-
>>should I install Win 98SE, or might it run OK on a slightly more
>>recent O/S? I haven't bought any new O/S yet, but some of the
>>software I tried to install would not work on Win 98.
>

> I run XP Pro on an old P-II 3xxMHz 600E.
>
> It's been a while since I moved it from Win98, so I don't recall the
> specifics of the installation, but there was info on IBM's Web site
> somewhere. Spend some time wandering around IBM's Web site and you
> should still find the drivers you'll need.
>
> Don't try to do an upgrade; do a clean install of XP.

I recently bought a 600e on Ebay and it runs XP Home no problem
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2005 12:02:05 AM

I've made some hardcore instal: Celeron 300 i 32 RAM !!! :)  ...

Uzytkownik "Dennis" <dennis@thecarpetcleaningcompany.fsbusiness.co.uk>
napisal w wiadomosci news:D 3e6k0$4v2$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Bert Hyman wrote:
> > ple@se.reply.to.newsgroup.only (Benny) wrote in
> > news:D 3cvae$9ar$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au:
> >

> >>I've just bought an old 600E Thinkpad, which came with Win 98 (not
> >>SE). People have told me these laptops are not gutsy enough for
> >>Windows XP, which is fair enough since it's probably 10 years old-
> >>should I install Win 98SE, or might it run OK on a slightly more
> >>recent O/S? I haven't bought any new O/S yet, but some of the
> >>software I tried to install would not work on Win 98.
> >

> > I run XP Pro on an old P-II 3xxMHz 600E.
> >
> > It's been a while since I moved it from Win98, so I don't recall the
> > specifics of the installation, but there was info on IBM's Web site
> > somewhere. Spend some time wandering around IBM's Web site and you
> > should still find the drivers you'll need.
> >
> > Don't try to do an upgrade; do a clean install of XP.
> >

> I recently bought a 600e on Ebay and it runs XP Home no problem
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2005 12:21:44 AM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:43:55 +1000, Benny wrote:

> I've just bought an old 600E Thinkpad, which came with Win 98 (not SE).
> People have told me these laptops are not gutsy enough for Windows XP, which
> is fair enough since it's probably 10 years old- should I install Win 98SE,
> or might it run OK on a slightly more recent O/S? I haven't bought any new
> O/S yet, but some of the software I tried to install would not work on Win
> 98.

You can run most current linux distro's on a 600E (running knoppix on a
600 here) as long as you have sufficient ram.
--
TimW
April 12, 2005 4:09:10 AM

I have several 600's with various processor speeds etc.
I have found W2K to work *very* well on them all, but
you must have at least 192 MB Ram.

When you install W2K on the 600E you almost think
they were made for each other. W2K has inside itself
every hardware driver the Thinkpad needs, and the
whole install process is a pleasure ride.

Personally I prefer Fat 32 to NTFS and I like the
ability to boot to Dos. To do that I copied the Command
folder from a W98 installation to the root of C, together
with W98 boot files and a modified path in Autoexec.bat

I then installed W2K, from CD, fresh install, to C.
Through boot.ini I can then have my Dos when needed
or otherwise run a W2K that is not an upgrade.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:43:55 +1000, Benny wrote:

>I've just bought an old 600E Thinkpad, which came with Win 98 (not SE).
>People have told me these laptops are not gutsy enough for Windows XP, which
>is fair enough since it's probably 10 years old- should I install Win 98SE,
>or might it run OK on a slightly more recent O/S? I haven't bought any new
>O/S yet, but some of the software I tried to install would not work on Win
>98.

Lars
Stockholm
http://web.telia.com/~u84406120/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2005 5:12:40 AM

Benny wrote:

> I've just bought an old 600E Thinkpad, which came with Win 98 (not SE).
> People have told me these laptops are not gutsy enough for Windows XP,
> which is fair enough since it's probably 10 years old- should I install
> Win 98SE, or might it run OK on a slightly more recent O/S? I haven't
> bought any new O/S yet, but some of the software I tried to install would
> not work on Win 98.

It should run 2K better than my 770, which runs 2K fine. XP it might
handle.

Max out the RAM though.

--
--John