Closed Solved

I need a new graphics card for my computer.

It's a HP s5657c-b. i just need to know what cards i can use with it. it needs a serious upgrade but i do not want to spend more then $200-$250. please help!!!
26 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card computer
  1. since you have a oem prebuilt i would suggest you to save 70 bucks for better power supply(oem psu are barely able to handle the original compound, in most case) and 170 bucks for gtx 460se. however judge by your poor sampron 140 i would say gtx 460se will be bottleneck really bad. but since you only have $250 in your budget all you can do is find a stronger dual core and a cheaper gts 450 + decent psu.

    530w psu $79.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707224&cm_re=power_supply-_-17-707-224-_-Product

    gts 450 $109

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125342&cm_re=gts_450-_-14-125-342-_-Product

    phenom 2 x2 $ 75.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103817&cm_re=phenom_ii_x2-_-19-103-817-_-Product

    total roughly $250
  2. I agree with cheesesubs. If not an upgrade to the CPU, then at least a power supply and GTS450.
  3. cheesesubs said:
    since you have a oem prebuilt i would suggest you to save 70 bucks for better power supply(oem psu are barely able to handle the original compound, in most case) and 170 bucks for gtx 460se. however judge by your poor sampron 140 i would say gtx 460se will be bottleneck really bad. but since you only have $250 in your budget all you can do is find a stronger dual core and a cheaper gts 450 + decent psu.

    530w psu $79.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707224&cm_re=power_supply-_-17-707-224-_-Product

    gts 450 $109

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125342&cm_re=gts_450-_-14-125-342-_-Product

    phenom 2 x2 $ 75.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103817&cm_re=phenom_ii_x2-_-19-103-817-_-Product

    total roughly $250



    ok just got a job and have some more money to spend. in a couple of weeks i will have about $600-$700 saved up, but i obviously dont want to blow it all at once so anything within a $500-$550 dollar range would be optimal.
  4. briovaz said:
    so if you have about 550 $ with you you can buy

    amd iix4 955 be 144.99$

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808&Tpk=phenom%20iix4%20955%20be

    gigabyte ga 880 ga ud3h 109.99$

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128444&Tpk=gigabyte%20ga%20880%20ga%20ud3h

    palit gtx 460 1gb 159.99$

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description

    Rosewill RV2-600 600 W 49.99$

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182039&Tpk=rosewill%20600%20watt%20psu

    there you go less than 500$. but you can still spend more on the gpu & the psu!! hope this helps!


    it does help but i really dont want to put a new motherboard in unless its absolutely necessary. any other suggestions?
  5. if your motherboard supports the amd quad core use it!! and if you are going to buy a motheboard consider the asrock 870 extreme 3 instead of the gigabyte! if you get a good quad core or dual core proceessor you can fit in a good gpu like the gtx 460!
    do some research on your pc and let us know!! are you going to use your pc for gaming??
  6. HP gives very little space for upgrades, check what processors are supported, because I have an HP computer socket 775 and it doesn't even support Core 2 Duo, so make sure you check the Motherboard specs on the HP website, just type your model number at the side of your case.
  7. briovaz said:
    if your motherboard supports the amd quad core use it!! and if you are going to buy a motheboard consider the asrock 870 extreme 3 instead of the gigabyte! if you get a good quad core or dual core proceessor you can fit in a good gpu like the gtx 460!
    do some research on your pc and let us know!! are you going to use your pc for gaming??

    ok here is the site with my motherboard specs. and yes i want to use it for gaming.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02560084&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&product=5035429&key=null
  8. Quote:
    HP gives very little space for upgrades, check what processors are supported, because I have an HP computer socket 775 and it doesn't even support Core 2 Duo, so make sure you check the Motherboard specs on the HP website, just type your model number at the side of your case.

    here is my motherboard specs. any suggestions on what to get?
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02560084&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&product=5035429&key=null
  9. Your motrherboard supports all AM3 processors, the best it supports is the PHENOM II X6 1090T, If you have the money get that, you can look it up on newegg, other wise go for a Phenom II X4.

    You will probably need a power supply upgrade too, open your case and read all the specs of your power supply, the most important is how many watts, and how many amps you've got on the 12v rail, the maximum amperes on the 12v rail.
    Choose your graphics card and then choose the power supply depending on how much the card requires.


    For the graphics card you PCI-Express 1.0,
    PCI-Express 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0 however PCI-Express 2.1 is not 100% compatible with 1.0. ALL ATI/AMD 5000-6000 series cards are 2.1 which means they won't work, even if they say 2.0 they are 2.1.

    So I prefer NVIDIA cards.
  10. your motherboard will support the hd 4350 1gb card. its a good low profile card. you can see gameplay videos of the hd 4350 1gb on youtube.

    are you sure that the pci express 1.0 is compatible with pci express 2.0?
  11. Yes PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0. But 2.1 is not backwards compatible with 1.0, all 5000-6000 series cards are 2.1
  12. it is compatible!! but it will slow down the card!! [:briovaz:3]

    if you are going to buy a card like the gtx 460 get a new motherboard as well. like the asrock 870 extreme 3. or the money spent on the card will be a waste.

    asrock 870 extreme 3 89.99$

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198&cm_re=asrock_870_extreme_3-_-13-157-198-_-Product

    gtx 460 1 gb 159.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261088&cm_re=gtx_460_1_gb-_-14-261-088-_-Product

    Rosewill RV2-600 49.99$

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182039&Tpk=rosewill%20600%20watt

    if you have the cash upgrade it. buying high end card like the gtx 460 and not using its maximum performance will be a waste.

    what is your cpu?? if you dont have a good cpu you'll have to buy a decsent cpu too.
  13. ok i can afford the PHENOM II X6 1090T. here are the specs for my current power supply:
    Total wattage: 220W
    Input voltage:
    100-127V/3A (50-60Hz)
    200-240V/2A (50-60Hz)
  14. the power isnt enough. you'll have to buy a new psu!
  15. ok that's fine. thanks for your help everyone :P
  16. you are welcome. but if you stick to that power supply you are going to suffer in gaming. games you play might freeze or crash.

    see you around!
  17. Using 2.0 in 1.0 will slow reduce he bandwidth but bandwidth isn't everything, I'm runnning a 2.0 GT 240 in an HP with 1.0 and I get pretty good results, not much of a difference between the ones I see in the review who use it with 2.0 so yeah:

    GTX 460
    Phenom II X6 1090T


    BUT you have to upgrade the power supply, it won't at all run the 460 and the phII x6, you need atleast 450-500w with good amperage on the 12v rails, the max output on the 12v rail should be like 30A
  18. yeah.. bandwith isnt everything!! pci-e bandwith does not effect performance!
    but you'll have to change your cpu & psu! hope you can do that! btw take a look @ this! it might be helpful!

    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=176643
  19. Best answer
    GTX 460
    Phenom II X6 1090T

    AND a good PSU, I recommend and Earthwatts 500w PSU.
  20. ok what about cooling for the cpu? Will i have to buy a better fan or does the Phenom II X6 1090T come with one?
  21. coolers are cheap these days! buy one a good gaming pc needs proper cooling!
  22. The 1090t comes with one, but you could get a better one later if you want to overclock it or you want a quieter cooler, but first just get it.
  23. any suggestions on which cooler will fit my case?
  24. Best answer selected by that1guy1691.
  25. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics Cards Computer Hewlett Packard Graphics Product