Looking for a new motherboard upgrade

h2l

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Hey guys,

So I unexpectedly have to upgrade my motherboard because my current motherboard doesn't fit the new case I just bought, and I guess I can use this as an excuse to just upgrade my motherboard, and then put all of the other parts back into my Dell and give that computer to my dad, because it's a large upgrade from the crappy computer he has right now.

So, my question is, what motherboard should I go with? I am really trying to keep this on a budget, considering I would also have to buy RAM for the motherboard, so I was thinking I could get a bundle like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=849390&Sku=B69-5380 I think It's a pretty good price for what I'm getting, and it will allow me to spend like 50 bucks on a decent amount of RAM.

My questions are as follows:

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 and I just want to know if the I/O panel will be getting in the way of that card, considering it is pretty large. Or will the card have its flat side facing the I/O panel? Also, would this motherboard/CPU combo be a good match for that card? Will I get good performance from it?

Also, is this motherboard/CPU able to be overclocked? And should I even bother with it considering it's at 3.30GHz already?

Thanks for reading!