Advice/recommendations on a gfx card

tomharto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Im looking to buy a new grphics card but I'm totally clueless on what to get, i need 2 (3 if possible) outputs. I need something whats fairly decent as i use my pc for games and graphic design (only as a hobby) but I dont need anything amazing. Im looking at spending aroudn £100, if anyone has and reccomendations on cards or advice on what spec I should be looking for in a card can you post it here.

Thanks, Tom

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
What resolution are you using?
Assuming you are on more than 1280 x 1024 I would be wanting to aim for a GTX 460 (1gb) for about £125 or the AMD 6850 for about £135.

But, if those cards are a bit over budget, the GTX460 (768mb) card is also very good though there looks to be only about £8 difference between that and the bigger 1gb brother

tomharto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
One monitor is a 21.5" widescreen, (1920x1200 or something around there) and the other is a 19" normal (around 1440x1000 but i cant remember exactly) and the third output would be to my 42" tv but that isnt that important if i cant hook that up but i need to be able to dual run both the monitors. Thanks, ill take a look at those, i currently have Geforce 9800GT but its making a horrible grinding/rattling sound and the colours on my pc keep randomly changing so i think its time to change :p

If you want to run three displays, you will need an AMD card, and one of the displays will have to connect to a DisplayPort (possibly through an adapter, which would be a separate cost). Depending on how much improvement from your 9800GT you want, a HD5770 is a three-tier improvement on the monthly graphics card hierarchy chart. With prices around $120-$130, hopefully they'll be within your £100 budget. If not, the HD5750 is $10-$20 cheaper.

tomharto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
The HD5770 looks pretty good. Few things before i consider getting it, My motherboard has PCI 2.0 connections that says it needs 2.1, would it still work with mine? It says "Recommended" power 500W, my power supply is only a 405W, would i need to upgrade that too? Currently all 3 leads i have are DVI, would something like this do the job for changing them to Mini-DP, http://www.pickegg.com/wholesale/mini-displayport-dp-to-dvi-adapter-for-macbook-pro-air-white.html?currency=GBP&welcome=254 ? And finally, I want to start overclocking my pc to get a bit more out of this, I've heard some card overclock a lot better than others, whats that one like for overclocking?

Thanks

tomharto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
All 3 monitors have DVI ends, i guess I'd need an adapter for each lead? On the power supply it says "JeanTech", model: Pufp-405. Ill have a look see if i can find it on the web anywhere. My graphics card has just gone, when i plug power into it it cuts power off to my PC so i desperately need a new one, and I think I've narrowed it down to either the HD5700 or GeForce GTX 460 1GB

I did not find any useful information with a quick Google search on that PSU. As an off-brand, I'm not sure I would trust it.

The card has two DVI connectors and one DisplayPort connector, so you should only need one adapter.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

The HD 5770 FleX is the first card available to support three DVI monitors in ATI Eyefinity mode so it's the best to your requirement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102906&cm_re=5770_flex-_-14-102-906-_-Product

That particular HD5770 is a unique model to have those connectors on it. While it would certainly work, you'd then need to buy three adapters, and have all that cable mess hanging off the back of your PC.
A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch required) and some level of 80+ certification (confirmed at 80plus.org, because there are liars out there). Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax are among the better brands. OCZ and FSP are ok. Most Coolermaster are junk (except their newest, high-end stuff). On anything other than "Enermax," if you see "max" in the name of a PSU, it is a reference either to the size of the pyrotechnic display, or the number and expense of the other parts it will take with it when it dies.

tomharto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I have a new PSU and the card ordered, however the GFX card will come a few days before my PSU. What could go wrong if i run my new GFX card with my old PSU (Card recommends 500W, my current is 405W), is there a chance i could blow/burn something out or would it just underpower and not run right?

Thanks

tomharto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Ive just got the PSU and GFX card though, and generally there working great, but randomly my screen keeps doing this,

www.todieamartyr.co.uk/files/Hmmm.png
www.todieamartyr.co.uk/files/Hmmm2.png.

Any one have/know what or why this problem happens? There's roughly 2 parts of my screen what it always does it in, as you can see from the second one, it kinda checkers back to my desktop.

Thanks

tomharto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I did tweak the Overdrive settings on the Control Center, i reset them, updated driver and problem seems to have gone. I thought since i just installed the drivers they would have been the newest but obviously not :p