Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Phenom 955 and GTX460 build suggestions

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2011 8:58:10 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 months

Budget Range: 500-600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, 720p video watching, Surfing, May add a high quality soundcard in later for music

Parts REQUIRED: CPU, Mobo, GPU, RAM, PSU, Case

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Most likely in the future [1-2 years] But not now

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900, may upgrade to 1080x1900 [Once again, later]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Ideas:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955BE
Edit: Might consider a downgrade if it doesn't affect performance much, is this a good combination with the 460? Would it provide good support for SLI in the future?

GPU: GTX 460 1gb

I really like the idea of the CUDI technology in Nvidia graphics cards, so I want to go with that one, but if a cheaper version of that card could be found, that would be awesome.

Case: Lian Li k58w

The case looks modest, and I hear it's really quiet and easy to work with, so I want to keep that case, but if another case is cheaper and catches my eye, I'd like to save money.

I would like to have SLI support in the future, so I was looking at this mobo/cpu combo so save a few bucks.

I originally wanted this to be a sub 500 build, but in order to make a decent gaming computer it probably has to go nearer to 600 or over..

Any help or input would be appreciated!

March 16, 2011 10:11:22 PM

For starters, I plan to get portal 2, but I'm thinking that's going to be the most graphically intensive game I want to play.

Most of the Source games are on my list, and possibly guild wars two, with lesser games like amnesia and bioshock pretty high on my list.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 16, 2011 10:14:15 PM

springhalo said:
Current Ideas:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955BE $140
Edit: Might consider a downgrade if it doesn't affect performance much, is this a good combination with the 460? Would it provide good support for SLI in the future?
I would like to have SLI support in the future, so I was looking at this mobo/cpu combo ($230, $20 rebate) so save a few bucks.

GPU: GTX 460 1gb $200 ($20 rebate)

I really like the idea of the CUDI technology in Nvidia graphics cards, so I want to go with that one, but if a cheaper version of that card could be found, that would be awesome.[/

Yes, the older Nvidia chipset based motherboards support SLI, but they don't have other modern features like SATA6G or USB3. So as long as you don't want or need those features or don't mind using addon cards to provide those features then it's fine to use an older board, but I don't think it's that good of an idea, especially as I don't see anything in your intended usage that would benefit from CUDA.
I think it's much wiser if you want to go dual card in the future to do so with AMD cards in mind and get the Asrock 870 Extreme3, $90. You could get a 6850, which will perform about the same, if not slightly better than a GTX 460, and is cheaper:
Asus DirectCU DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 $180 ($20 rebate, $8 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

springhalo said:
Case: Lian Li k58w $80

The case looks modest, and I hear it's really quiet and easy to work with, so I want to keep that case, but if another case is cheaper and catches my eye, I'd like to save money.

For a PSU that will support two of the cards of the class we are looking at, a good 650W PSU is the right option IMO:
XFX 650W XXX Edition 80Plus Bronze Modular $90 ($30 rebate)

That case also comes in combo with a good unit as well:
Antec Truepower New TPN-650 80Plus Bronze & Lian Li PC-K58W $135
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Nothing really to choose between those two PSUs.

Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) CAS 9 1.5V TW3X4G1333C9A G $45 ($10 rebate)
March 16, 2011 10:47:51 PM

@Silvune:

Thanks for the help! The main reason I was looking at the nVidia CUDA technology was for the HD video rendering capabilities available from that using MPC-HD, but it really isn't all that important if money can be saved getting a better card.

Quote:
I think it's much wiser if you want to go dual card in the future to do so with AMD cards in mind and get the Asrock 870 Extreme3, $90. You could get a 6850, which will perform about the same, if not slightly better than a GTX 460, and is cheaper:
Asus DirectCU DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 $180 ($20 rebate, $8 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814121419

This mobo would support future upgrades such as a HD/Uncompressed audio PCI cards, without the other graphics card getting in the way? [I'm also a budding audiophile] As well as the card supporting games at high quality with my current 1440x900, with rather decent FPSs? I looked at the benchmarks and it seems to be on par with the 460, and would it be worth it to try and overclock it to get a bit better performance?

Total seems to be $590, which is great!

EDIT: Do you know where I could find a prebuilt [off the shelf] computer with similar specs to this? I would like to know how much I'm saving building it myself.
m
l
March 16, 2011 11:10:22 PM

Yes the 870 Extreme3 is as well laid out in terms of expansion card slots as any other motherboard, so I don't see any problems with installing a sound card as well as another graphics card. You really would have to go up to 1920x1080 to begin to justify adding another card or overclocking as at 1440x900 I would think that in most games you could really crank up the settings and get a solid 60FPS in the vast majority of games.

I don't really know anything about prebuilt machines, except that they cut corners, so even if you did find a computer that had similar specs and a similar price to what you are planning atm, then in some way it would be much worse quality - most likely in the PSU area. The other thing I know is that is likely to have horrible OEM software preinstalled, which I would get rid of ASAP. I did find this which has the equivalent CPU and GPU and the same amount of RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Which is ~$900, but that also includes Windows 7, which if you deducted the price from that would still be $800, so based on that you have saved ~$200.
m
l
March 16, 2011 11:34:52 PM

Okay, that sounds excellent. Thanks for all of your help. Is there a rep system here? [+rep] I hope this build goes off well!
m
l
March 16, 2011 11:35:11 PM

Best answer selected by SpringHalo.
m
l
!