Zotac 460 GTX abruptly stopped working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacemain

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Hi TomsHardware's community

I'll try to keep it short:
I recently ordered all the parts for a new PC. However, when they arrived the motherboard turned out be defect. I wanted to be completely sure about what was defect (as it could have been the CPU as well at that point). I therefore turned in the PC for a troubleshooting at my local pc-repair store, there they found that the motherboard was indeed defect but that everything else worked flawlessly. While waiting for a new motherboard, I had the parts laying sealed in a container covered with anti-static plastic.

Yesterday, my new, working, motherboard arrived and I assembled the PC. However, the GPU appears to not work at all anymore. The computer turns on without post-beeps, but there is no image on the monitor and the fan of the GPU is not running.
Things I've tried:

Inserting the GPU into another slot.
Testing the rest of the PC with an old 8600 GTS, the computer worked and so did the power cables.

I have yet to try to use my GPU in an old PC.

Not sure if it matters: But while my monitor's DVI cable is unplugged it shows a "No cable is plugged" message, but as soon as I plug it into the GPU it stops showing that and instead shows a completely black screen.

What would you do in my my situation? RMA the card? Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance.

SPECS:
GPU: Zotac 460 GTX
CPU: AMD Phenom X6 3.2 Ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev. 2.0)
PSU: 750w Corsair

Solution
You should probably RMA it. I'm not certain what happened to your video card before you installed it into the new system, but it's not like you have another system to test it on. And you already know the system you have works with the other card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

GTX 460 requires two power cables, are they both plugged in?

peacemain

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for the help.
One more question though:
What exactly do you mean a "bad video card" that it just stopped working laying, doing nothing? Also, in that case should I then RMA it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You should probably RMA it. I'm not certain what happened to your video card before you installed it into the new system, but it's not like you have another system to test it on. And you already know the system you have works with the other card.

Solution

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
rma time... zotac is good on rma's though, my old 8500gt died in 2 months, sent it to them same dya recieved new one went out and got an email with a trackign number sent, 2 days later i had my crappy 8500gt back working (likely a eplacment but 8500gt's were terrible cards)

Status
Not open for further replies.