Need help choosing new GPU

celticscoobs

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Currently I have a ATI radeon sapphire hd 4850and would like something better and preferably nVIDEA.

my system specs are as follows .

Mobo: MSI 790fx-gd70

processor : AMD Phenom II x4 955 processor 3.20GHz

RAM: 4GB corsair xms3 ddr3 ( thinking of adding anther 4GB )

powersupply : corsair TX850w

storage: primary- kingston 64GB SSD .. secondary WD 1 TB

I am looking at cards priced up to £200 .

Thanks in advance

pixar1942

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
it depends on what size of monitor did you use ..... but my 1st suggestion is gtx 460

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007323%20600062521&IsNodeId=1&Tpk=gtx%20460

just make sure the 460gtx you buy is 256bit not 192bit just to make sure it gives you a 100% of performance and quality for gaming and video streaming

and my 2nd suggestion is ATI 6850 the price is same to 460gtx

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=6850&x=0&y=0

ati is more performance compare to nvidia but there drivers always get f*ck up but if you want a high end gpu go for ati ... ati is better on that compare to nvidia

I'm a big fan of Gainward and their Golden Sample cards. 2GB might help out with higher resolutions or more intense graphic settings. The Asus card is nice too, but since Gainward in only sold in Europe, I would take advantage of that perk.

pixar1942

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

we have the same problem too actually im a ati user but now i jump to nvidia because driver issue in ati ... and aside from driver i notice something that nvidea is better than ati compare to graphics the details are correct so any way matto17secs was right that 2g vc is useful in big monitor but for me 1g is enough i suggest go to asus because the memory core is running @ 4000gps

I just took a closer look, and there is a big difference in clock speeds for the cards. The Asus TOP is their fastest clocked card at 775mhz. The Gainward card is at only 700mhz. Gainward's faster card is called GLH (Goes Like Hell). The card you listed is not the GLH model. I'm now leaning towards the Asus.

In terms of 2gb vs. 1gb memory, here is a comment from a review of the Palit GTX460, which is identical to the Gainward model (Gainward is owned by Palit):
"1GB vs 2GB is tricky. Honestly speaking, the gains are minimal at best. In some rare titles such as Stalker: Call of pripyat a sizeable 16% FPS gain was seen. Other titles also displayed some measurable gains but they weren't enough to significantly improve game play experience. It depends on what you intend to do with these cards. Benchmarking wise, 2GB is still superior over 1GB but from a gameplay point of view the benefits are hardly noticeable."
http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articles/GTX%20460%20ANALYSIS/P18.html

pixar1942

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
, 2GB is still superior over 1GB but from a gameplay point of view the benefits are hardly noticeable."

2g is useful in gta 4 the more memory the more distance of view you can add in settings.. .... but the question is do you think the card can handle more graphics weight in gta 4??? .... my cousin's ati4890 1g can handle 100 distance of view but the fps is running @ 29 below .... in other word you need more power to carry the weight of the graphics than a big hand to handle the size of graphics .............. but this is bull sh*t because more games now can play at max out settings even if your card @ 512mb only like dirt2