Intel dz68db no sound from PCI sound card

E Graham

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
I have just put together a new DAW using the Intel DZ68DB motherboard. I have installed a new M-Audio Delta 44 sound card in the PCI slot and have turned off all the on-board audio (even in the BIOS) but I cannot get any sound out of my Delta 44 at all.
Everything is recognizing the Delta 44 sound card and everything says that it is 'enabled' but I cannot get any sound.
Yes, my amp is turned on, speakers are connected, and the sound card was tested in another computer so I know that it works.
I have tried moving the sound card to another PCI slot and it still won't work.
Does anybody know if this motherboard actually works with the older PCI style audio card.
Everything else seems to work ok except I get no sound anywhere.

I'm close to pulling out what gray hair that I have left, so I really could use some help here.

E Graham

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Yes I have installed the drivers that came with the M-Audio Delta 44, that didn't work, so I installed the driver from their website and that didn't work either. I have tried reloading both drivers at least twice with no luck. My operating system is XP Pro. (32 bit)
I can get the on-board audio to work just fine but I don't want the on-board audio.
I'm thinking that the motherboard does not like the card in the older style PCI slot, but that's the only style this audio card comes in. (that I know)
I hate to trash the motherboard for a different one as it is brand new, but I may have to because I sure can't this one to work.

E Graham

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Well I tried a new motherboard, Asus P8H67-V, and it does the same thing, no sound!
I put together a DAW about 10 years ago and used a Delta 66 card and had no trouble back then. I am not very educated with all of the new features on today’s motherboards but I didn't think that building a new DAW would be this difficult. I am not over clocking, just looking for a stable system to mix multi-track recordings on. This is a dedicated computer for music only.
The drivers are correct,
the onboard audio is turned off,
everything says that it recognizes the audio card, no conflicts.

Does anybody have any ideas to what I am doing wrong?

Quanta5

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

Hi. Did you solve your problem yet? It may well be because the Intel 1155 MBs (Z68, P67, H67) do not offer native PCI support, but use a bridge from the PCI Express bus. I found this thread while researching the very same issue. Q67 and B65 boards do have native PCI if you can find one... Good luck.

E Graham

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Christian Wood ~~ The Intel link you listed, all the information refers to Intel's onboard audio. I am trying to get sound from a M-Audio delta 44 PCI sound card. My onboard audio works fine but I want to use the M-Audio delta 44 sound card, which I can not get to work.