Upgrading mobo only - will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigershark

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2002
I came across these instructions for upgrading a motherboard without reinstalling WinXP. I"m wondering if these steps will work for a Windows 7 OEM system (or if they will work at all actually :)? I'm replacing an ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM with a Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3, keeping the AMD Athlon II X3 440 cpu for now.

Before you change the motherboard go into device manager and change the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller”. You do this by going to update driver and then selecting “Don’t Search. I will choose the driver to install.” Then select the “Standard….Controller.” After you have changed the controller, shut down the PC and change the motherboard. You should now be able to boot without the blue screen. Now load the new motherboard drivers including the new IDE controller driver.

I don't want to do a Windows "Repair" because I'm using the OEM Win 7. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Solution
It can be done in some instances because i've done it.

You can just move the old harddrive to the new mobo with the operating system already installed. I had an xfx am3 board and an OLD orignial xp disk...no sp1 or nothing. without sp1 installed, the new mobo could not boot up (dont remember exactly but i think it was giving me a display driver incompatibility error due to the new board having hdmi or something.

I put the new hardrive into my old asus am2 system, loaded xp, installed all the new service pack, moved it to the xfx board, loaded the xfx utilities and drivers and was good to go.

The only thing you have to worry about are the old motherboard drivers interfering with the new ones. The fist thing you want to do on start...

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

well the operating system is on the hard drive that you using maybe a ssd or whatever it's installed on but the motherboard can be swapped to no need to worry if you run into a error it's nothing to do with the operating system just the computer i looked at those boards on newegg and it looks like the new one has 3 pci slots so far and othere a x16, x8 and a x4 so be carfull you need to put a video card in the x16 for the best resaults and is your old board micro atx? if so that possibly could be a problem

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

well does your case fully support ATX and does it have the expansion slots for full ATX since micro ATX is smaller and has less slots

marcopolo112000

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
It can be done in some instances because i've done it.

You can just move the old harddrive to the new mobo with the operating system already installed. I had an xfx am3 board and an OLD orignial xp disk...no sp1 or nothing. without sp1 installed, the new mobo could not boot up (dont remember exactly but i think it was giving me a display driver incompatibility error due to the new board having hdmi or something.

I put the new hardrive into my old asus am2 system, loaded xp, installed all the new service pack, moved it to the xfx board, loaded the xfx utilities and drivers and was good to go.

The only thing you have to worry about are the old motherboard drivers interfering with the new ones. The fist thing you want to do on start up (in safe mode if you have to) is download driver sweeper and clean out the old motherboard drivers (you can find out what they are online at the manufacturers webiste). Then load the correct drivers and utilities for the new board.

Good luck

Solution

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

All you need is a phone call to Intel, because you are using Win 7 OEM it is tied to that old motherboard you have, Just tell them that the old board got fried or defective and I guess they will give you a new Licensed Key.

Status
Not open for further replies.