a b D Laptop
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 11, 2005 12:46:13 PM

How do I get my hands on a HP Pavillion zv5000 series. I need to get
access to the non-accessible 256MB memory.

I've got it with 512mb(2x256Mb) and I realized that only one slot is
available for upgrade. Since there aren't 1Gb single slots available(
there are but still expensive) I wouldn't be able to replace my current
memory with 2x512Mb that I already got!

I replaced one and works fine with 768Mb but how do I replace the one
that's not accessible. Anyone tried, anyone has a diagram or a good
path do to so ?

Thanks in advanced!
the Q
http://www.goodstockimages.com

More about : repair manual

April 11, 2005 4:15:54 PM

Unfortunately, the non-accessible memory is built into the motherboard, and
there is no way of replacing it.
"The Q" <theqmaster@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I get my hands on a HP Pavillion zv5000 series. I need to get
> access to the non-accessible 256MB memory.
>
> I've got it with 512mb(2x256Mb) and I realized that only one slot is
> available for upgrade. Since there aren't 1Gb single slots available(
> there are but still expensive) I wouldn't be able to replace my current
> memory with 2x512Mb that I already got!
>
> I replaced one and works fine with 768Mb but how do I replace the one
> that's not accessible. Anyone tried, anyone has a diagram or a good
> path do to so ?
>
> Thanks in advanced!
> the Q
> http://www.goodstockimages.com

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 11, 2005 6:55:00 PM

I've called the support that seems to be in India. They said first I
cannot replace it. When I insisted they told me it's possible if done
by a specialized/trainned individual. That leads me to think that the
memory is replaceable *but* it's in a place that is not easy to access.
That's very LAME! Besides that there are only two slots, one is not
accessible - really had some good comments about HP 'till the point
I've wanted to upgrade the memory!

the Q
http://www.goodstockimages.com
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 11, 2005 7:13:14 PM

But that it's incredible stupid.

1. You want to change both
2. You may want to go high frequency(DDR400) - if only change one it
will work at the lowest of the two so the "internal" one will dictate
the access clock.

Again - shame on HP and others for doing this!
April 12, 2005 2:07:24 AM

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
Unfortunately, the non-accessible memory is built into the motherboard, and
there is no way of replacing it.

I really doubt that an HP laptop has a motherboard that has memory "built
in". You may have to remove the keyboard and whatever else to get to the
memory module on the motherboard but it would more than likely be a plain
vanilla sodimm. I've seen other laptops besides HP that do the same thing,
one sodimm inaccessable and the other is easily replaceable.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 12, 2005 2:12:56 AM

The Q wrote:

> That's very LAME! Besides that there are only two slots, one is not
> accessible - really had some good comments about HP 'till the point
> I've wanted to upgrade the memory!

Where does this model stand in HP's notebook lineup? It's fairly common
for entry level laptops in each manufacturer's product lineup to have 1
RAM slot built-in and 1 RAM slot accessible. Mid-level and high-end
laptops usually have both RAM slots accessible.
April 12, 2005 2:28:26 AM

If you go to the hp website you can get the Maintenance and Service Guide
for the zv5000series laptop. It contains step by step instructions for
removing the motherboard to gain access to the non-accessible memory.

"The Q" <theqmaster@gmail.com> wrote in message
How do I get my hands on a HP Pavillion zv5000 series. I need to get
access to the non-accessible 256MB memory.

I've got it with 512mb(2x256Mb) and I realized that only one slot is
available for upgrade. Since there aren't 1Gb single slots available(
there are but still expensive) I wouldn't be able to replace my current
memory with 2x512Mb that I already got!

I replaced one and works fine with 768Mb but how do I replace the one
that's not accessible. Anyone tried, anyone has a diagram or a good
path do to so ?

Thanks in advanced!
the Q
http://www.goodstockimages.com
April 12, 2005 2:48:11 AM

Doesn't really matter how stupid or not it is, that's the way many of them
are done and I suspect it just has to do with how the motherboard/case get
laid out and the amount of space available. There is not a lot of room to
spare in a laptop. I've had some older Toshiba's that have the memory laid
out the same way. In the Compaq 2200 I just bought, both memory modules are
accessible under the cover in the bottom of the laptop. Compaq/HP are the
same company now so go figure. I just posted info on how to get the
maintenance and service guide. If you look at some of the models that you
can customize you will see that they may offer 512mb of memory as 2 256mb's
or 1 512 stick. That would leave the accessable slot empty but it costs
more.
The memory frequency will be determined by the bios settings and I don't
know if you can change them.

But that it's incredible stupid.

1. You want to change both
2. You may want to go high frequency(DDR400) - if only change one it
will work at the lowest of the two so the "internal" one will dictate
the access clock.

Again - shame on HP and others for doing this!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 12, 2005 1:55:44 PM

I did find it even though I looked up first and didn't.

It show in details how to change it. The picures are 95% accurate -
some minor glitches but I've manages to get to it and replace it
without problems.

Regards,
http://www.goodstockimages.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 26, 2005 2:31:13 AM

Hi there.Finally i managed to find a forum where it says how to
add/replace memory in the zv5000 Pavillion.

I want to present the Ram to my girlfriend,since she has just 256MB
and the laptop is running very slow.
I will really appreciate if you can help me with that.

1. Should i care about some particular memory features (if you still
have the features of the one you bought can you send it to
me,please)

2. if I buy one slot of 512MB, does it work together the other one of
256MB (512+256).

I understood that you finally managed to replace the "untouchable"
memory under the keyboard.Was it difficult, do you think i will
manage without destroy my girlfriend's laptop?

Thanks a lot for any eventual help and i hope my present won't turn
into a disaster. My girl will kill me.
Cheerio
Claudio

> The Qwrote:
I did find it even though I looked up first and didn't.

> It show in details how to change it. The picures are 95% accurate -
> some minor glitches but I've manages to get to it and replace it
> without problems.
>
> Regards,
> http://www.goodstockimages.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 26, 2005 12:43:30 PM

Check the link in my previous posting.

You'd have to open the front panel ( the one with special button on top
of the keyboard and the raise the keybord a bit and there underneath of
the keyboard is the magic slot.

The link posted is the manual from HP it tells you exactly how to do it
- it's not 100% accurate but it's a good guidance.

Good luck!

Ps.
If the link doesn't work got to HP.com and search the product and find
the manual. Browse it till you find the place to download it.
!