Sign in with
Your question

Monitors 24inch 1920x1200 1:1 pixel mapping

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2011 12:50:09 PM

Hi,
(This is about monitors, but I can't seem to pick a suitable sub-category)

I'm searching for a 24 inch monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, but I want it to have a pixelmapping of 1:1 so that you can watch HD-movies without the scaling, i.e. I guess it's better to have a small black strip instead...
It seems that most "cheap" monitors scale up automatically with a worse result.
In the specs you never see this "feature", so how would you know which monitor to pick?
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 12, 2011 3:13:26 PM

You mean you want to watch 1920x1080 movies with the black bars to keep the ratio? Pretty sure that would be an option in your video player not the monitor itself.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 123 C Monitor
January 12, 2011 3:18:23 PM

Most video players automatically put the bars up top and below. However, if you were to play a game at 1080p on a 1200p monitor, it might stretch it. However, most monitors have an option to just center the image within the monitors panel settings.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2011 3:41:39 PM

Well, you should have the options in the gpu settings. As for in built scalers that I do not know, best to try and find reviews that mention it.

My old dell 2405fpw had it and my current HP 2475w has it I know that much.
January 13, 2011 12:42:04 AM

bystander said:
Most video players automatically put the bars up top and below. However, if you were to play a game at 1080p on a 1200p monitor, it might stretch it. However, most monitors have an option to just center the image within the monitors panel settings.

Yah, that's what I'm hoping for but it doesn't say in the specification sheet on any monitor I've looked at. And asking the "nice" sales people isn't much of an option, I suspect they wouldn't even know what I'm talking about in most cases.
January 13, 2011 12:46:15 AM

wolfram23 said:
You mean you want to watch 1920x1080 movies with the black bars to keep the ratio? Pretty sure that would be an option in your video player not the monitor itself.

Well, since I've heard of pixel mapping in the context of monitors I don't think so. And since an HD videoplayer's and HDTV's native res is 1920x1080 I don't see why it should try and adjust itself to a 1920x1200 monitor? So I belive the monitor needs to adjust itself to different source resolutions...
a c 355 U Graphics card
a c 193 C Monitor
January 13, 2011 4:07:48 AM

Generally speaking, the software you are using should take care of aspect ratio. You need not worry about 1:1 pixel mapping.

Besides, not all movies are 16:9 anyway. Batman Begins and Batman The Dark Night are two examples of 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 123 C Monitor
January 13, 2011 6:10:30 AM

seb_kvist said:
Yah, that's what I'm hoping for but it doesn't say in the specification sheet on any monitor I've looked at. And asking the "nice" sales people isn't much of an option, I suspect they wouldn't even know what I'm talking about in most cases.

I usually just fiddle with the settings myself. My dad used to own a TV store a long time ago, and I've heard other sales people tell me that they purposefully mess up the color on some TV/monitors in order to make it look worse than another model they are trying to sell a lot of. It's always in your best interest to make sure all the settings are set to optimum, and you can check to see if they have that option while you are at it.
!