alkajak

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
During stress test:

When I set the cpu to the high performance overclock, it heats up to 95 C.

When I leave the cpu alone, it stays around 72-81 C.

Any reason the temps are so high?

Or you are overvolting with the stock cooler or you have poor air circulation through the case.

If you are going to overclock and your motherboard permits, learn to use the BIOS for overclocking. The K models are much easier to overclock than the previous CPU's.

alkajak

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
HAF 922. Just built it like.. the day before I posted this thread.
I have not attempted to overclock the CPU as of yet. It is reaching these temps at stock speed.
Motherboard is the P8P67 Pro Rev 3.
I even installed an optional intake 200mm side fan on the case.

As for the CPU fan, I was told that if I move it around a lot, I'll get the thermal gunk all over and mess up the cooling on it, so I locked it down in one try and never touched it again.

alkajak

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Weirdest thing happened.

I turned off my computer overnight and when I turned it on, it stopped idling at 80C. It idles at about 40-50 now. Even at ASUS Optimal. Maybe the thermal paste just needed to dry properly. I think I can overclock it a bit now, even with stock fan, unless someone advises against it.

Bawb3

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
My i5-2500k idles at 37C and goes 60-65 under load with the stock cooler.
I would be freaking out if mine got that hot.

Instead of using software in the OS to check temps, Check them in the BIOS under "PC Health Status", there's always a chance of getting false readings with the software you're using.

If they are still that high...
Here are my suggestions:
-Make sure the heat sink is on tight - the stock mounting pins can be a PITA.
-Make sure the area around the CPU is getting plenty of airflow from fans, you may need to buy some more.
-Order some artic silver 5, and re-doing the thermal paste.

TRENDING THREADS