Complex upgrades

Let's say I have a ship with the following large weapon loadout:

1 Pulsed Phasor Cannon
1 Force Beam
2 Fusion Cannons
2 Sand Casters

And I have another PPC on the base below it that friendly frogs
built for me. Is there a way I can set up an Outfit pod such that I
can switch out one of the Sand Casters for the new PPC? The way it
seems to work most of the time, it just swaps out weapons starting at
the top of the list, which would result in no net change to the
weapons.

Thanks,
Ashran

You could Replace all weapons with the PPC on the first turn and then
Add the weapons back on the next turn.

That only works in your particular case though (replacing weapon at top
of the list with one at the bottom.

A second type of Outfit Pod (Equip Pod?) that allowed swapping back and
forth with a ship, similar to the Ship's Transfer screen, would be
quite useful. It could also carry more than one type of Engine at a
time, since it will be manually manipulated rather than automatic like
the Outfit Pod.

Yes unfortuanatly, there isn't much grace in the interface or methods
used in doing many things. Upgrading ships included.

Why a second type? It would be enough to change the current outfit pod,
so that it could hold different engines at a time.
I even think could be coded rather fast as the needed screen for the
outfit process already is already used for the different methods of
ship building.

The automatic options could still be included for convenience,

Jochen