DQ965GF Intel board and intel E7500 duo combo

ozzyguanche

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hello,

I had a new E7500 cpu hanging around, and came accross an Intel DQ965QF board for $20 so I put them together.

It was working for a few days and then suddenly stopped and would not boot. (Long beep, then stop, restart with long beep again, then stays on, fans etc but no boot.)
After some research (beacuse I thought it was the ram timing or such) and checking all components, I found that the E7500 is not on the compatable list of cpu's (maybe because it is 45 nm technology, i dont know)

So anyone have any ideas why it worked, or can it still work?

Was there a bios upgrade on some of these boards, which alowed it to work?

Any ideas?

Thanks in adavance

Ozzy

I tried to find information on the Intel DQ965QF and all I could pull up was info on the DQ965GF. Was this a typo by chance?

At any rate, the DQ965GF, even though it uses a socket compatible with the E7500, was made for second-gen pentium 4 and D processors.

I'm pretty sure even the BIOS update won't work. But heck... Since they were parts you had laying around, it's worth a try now that you have everything together.

Here's the processor compatibility list for that board:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dq965gf/sb/CS-025970.htm

ozzyguanche

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hi ubercake,

Yes sorry it was a typo!

The copatibility list I found was as follows.

http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dq965gf

The only difference I can find with the ones listed ( Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processors) and the e7500 is the 45nm difference)

I am just trying to understand why it worked for the time it did, and/or if it should be possible.

I have to admit I dont understand what the different silicon technology nm's make to the processor and communication with the board.

Thanks again for your responce.

Ozzy

I guess, for the sake of science, you could check the voltage being sent to the socket and make sure it matches the power requirement of the E7500? Can you still get to the BIOS?

I'm not so sure the Intel boards are all that friendly when it comes to tweaking voltages though...

It could be the processor was either over or under-volted until it finally fizzled and died if it's no longer working?

I used to own the Intel® Desktop Board DP965LT and ran it will an Intel Core™ 2 Duo E6400. Later on I would look into upgrading it and even with the latest Bios it wouldnt accept any of the 45nm processors which would include the Intel Core 2 Duo E7500. The VID voltage changes from .8500-1.5v on the 65nm Intel Core 2 Duo's to .8500-1.3625v. So the DQ965GF which only supported the 65nm Intel Core 2 Duo's most likely can't clock the voltage down to the lower voltage.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

ozzyguanche

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Thanks guys,

ubercake: No!, I cant get into bios, no post.

So fried the CPU then do we think?

The board didnt cost much, so not devistated if its of no use, but if I have fried the cpu, I dont want to be purchasing a new board just to test it.

I assume a local PC shop could test the CPU, or would they have to have a board laying around that would suit the E7500 as well?

Thanks for the info guys.

ozzy

ozzyguanche

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
WOWWW!

Just been checking on ebay for compatible board for the e7500 duo, and found the e7500's are still selling for over $100/$160 here in Australia. I didnt realise they were still so expensive.

Sooo! if I assume I have not stuffed the CPU, any suggestions on a board (not too expencive) that I should look for, that would take advantage of the CPU. INTEL,ASUS, or GIGABYTE?

I have a winfast nvidia 8600GT card I was going to use as well.

Or should I take these questions to the M/Board part of the forum.

PS: I have found a few people that have had eE7500 45mn's working on older 775 socket 65mn's boards, so it was just luck my combo worked in the first place. most has said the CPU would be fine with the voltage difference. Hope they are correct.

Thanks ozzy