Just looking for an opinion.
Looking to build a new system, here's what I got so far:

Case: Corsair 700D
MB: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
CPU: Intel i7 2600k
RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
Cooling: Corsair H70
PSU: Corsair AX1200

For now I'm going to be using my 2x 9800 GTX videocards, until I get some more cash and then I plan on putting in a couple of NVidia 560 Ti.
I plan on using the system for Gaming and Graphic Design. Not really going to do any OCing.

The only thing I'm really kind of iffy on is the motherboard.
Any comments? Suggestions?

More about : specs opinion

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2011 1:45:58 PM

Hello aviavy;

Have you set a budget for this project?
If you fill out the form in*How To Ask For New Build Advice* you'll answer all the standard questions that help us get started.
March 17, 2011 7:49:15 PM

Thanks, WR2. I've filled out the the New Build form below. I'm trying to keep everything under $1000. Right now it's in the range of $1300 - $1500. I don't need the system asap, so I figure I'll just purchase parts as they drop in price / go on sale over the next 2 months.

Approximate Purchase Date:
Between now and 2 months

Budget Range:
Max - $1200 Min - Free

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required:
keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
N/A - I'm constantly price shopping, but as I live outside the North American continent, shipping proves itself to both tricky and costly

Country of Origin:
I live in Trinidad, but 1-2 times a year make a visit to my brother in Canada, so I would ship everything to his place. Getting it back to Trinidad without additional shipping charges is where the trick is.

Parts Preferences:
I like my system to look nice, both inside and outside, while keeping things simple. Corsair seems to be bringing out a lot of nice things these days, so a lot of my parts are based on them.
1. The Corsair 700D case is looking nice for as it also offers a decent amount of 3.5 HDD space and keep the wiring nice and simple.
2. I've never tried watercooling, so I figured the Corsair H70 would be easy way to start, until I'm comfortable doing things myself.
3. The only part I'm still kind of iffy on is the motherboard, the Asus P8P67 Deluxe. The reviews are generally good, but I'm still not sure, I don't know why. Overall compared to most other boards (Gigabyte UD7, Asus Maximus IV) it seems to have what I need. Also the fact that 2 videos cards in SLI will run at (x16, x8) as oppose to (x16, x16), troubles me, but all boards with the P67 chipsets seems to be the same.

Overclocking:
Maybe

SLI or Crossfire:
Yes (SLI)

Monitor Resolution:
1920x1080, 1920x1200 - Current monitor supports 1920x1200

Additional Comments:
I'm also planning on getting the Corsair AX1200 PSU. I figure more power will keep me in the green, as my system generally tends to be used outside of it's initial scope and can have a lot of devices connected to it.

Don't like bling, but I do like class, so everything looking nice is important. Cooling is important as I live in one of the hottest of the Caribbean countries (30 - 35s degree celcius) and A/C is not always on. I will be running Win7 64bit. Don't care for SSD as I don't think the price is worth it.
I just bought the Corsair H70 and Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz for $20 & $40 respectively, for less than regular retail, so I'm off to a good start.
For the moment I'm going to be using 2 9800 GTXs in SLI, until I get more cash for 2 GTX 560 Ti.

I can't think of anything else, but let me know if I've forgotten anything or anyone has any questions.
Related resources
March 17, 2011 10:14:02 PM

All cooling (air and water) works on 'rise above ambient'. If it's hot to start your cooling medium (air/water) won't seem like it's working as good as it should.
The Corsair Hydro H70 is a good choice but you'll need to keep a cllose eye on system temps.

Corsair Hydro H70 CWCH70 High Performance CPU Cooler $90
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz about ~$95?

March 17, 2011 10:56:10 PM

• ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
    ~$400 here

I think we're up about ~$1115 and we still have the MB, a copy of Win7 and maybe a SSD left to go.
    If you're thinking about one of the new SATA 6GB/s SSD I think you're looking at something over $1600.
    March 18, 2011 10:23:54 PM

Sorry for the delayed response...got caught up in whole lot of work that is starting to come my way.

For the case and PSU.
    I don't mind chaging the PSU. Definitely I recognize that it is expensive, so if I get something that is at least 1000W, keeps a bit cool, able to handle my requirements and cheaper, I'll be happy.

As for the case, I really do like it, but if there is something else that has as much functionality, class and makes wiring easier, I also wouldn't mind changing it.

I don't need and HDD as I have 5 of them from a previous system that are less than a year old. I'm not interested in SSD at all. The benefits do not outweight the costs as far as I am concerned. DVD Burner I have hanging around and it's in perfect condition. So those are some costs that I am not worried about.
    !