PC shuts down while playing games but fan still working.

luv2break

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
hello.so just before a week i bought a new pc,it was all fine till yesterday it started shutting down while playing call of duty 4..it shut downs in a wierd way,the monitor shows me power mode activated,which means there is no signal,but the fan of the cpu still keeps rotating,i can hear the sound....this crash also happens while playing Portal,i know that game crashes due to incompatibility with my onboard intel graphics,so it the same case with COD4 too?....or is it my power supply?.....and it doesnt crash when i dont play games....

SPECS....
Intel pentium dual core 3 GHZ E5700....
Ram 4 gb...
500 gb WD HDD....
400 watt supply...
mother board asrock g41....
onboard 1.5GB shared memory with 128 dedicated...

Uther39

Distinguished
YOu worked it out already, your onboard graphics simply cant handle it, i would thing they are over heating and then shutting itself off, is your system a pre built one, if so by who and what model number. We will also need better system specs, so make of psu, case etc etc.

luv2break

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
no its actually a custom build,i asked the computer shop to give me these specs...and i checked the psu,and i was surprised that the case and psu were of the same brand...and the brand is super rainbow, i am seeing this brand for the first time....the psu also has written on it P4,which means pentium 4,so is that an issue....

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Dude that sounds like a most dubious collection of hardware. It is way under powered for Call of Duty 4 and components from "Super Rainbow?" A PSU with P4 on it? I think you have been ripped off. Get your money back and buy some decent gear.

luv2break

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

dont make me feel guilty...its just been a week i bought it....and will the power output differ with same wattage but different brand?....

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
actually noticing same thing with WoW which is strange cause my sli set up has had no problem in 2 years.. i wonder if its something to do with latest nvidia drivers?

its like vid card stops communicating to monitor.. it turns off, back on.. but no visual on screen.. not overheating.. either. fans and computer is howing as being powered up

although im running a quad core with 2x. 9800 gtx+ cards and 4 gigs of ram.. 800w power supply

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I think you will be hard pushed to find a decent PSU in the 400 watt range these days. Even if you could it would still be better to get something 600 watt or up for future proofing.

Also I am not trying to make you feel guilty. :) But I am afraid that it is likely you have been supplied substandard equipment and I suspect that you can look forward to nothing but trouble with it. The market is littered with components that claim to do this and that but do not perform to expectations.

My advice is this. Get your money back under warranty and start again. If you don't want to do that then buy a PSU from a reputable supplier.

luv2break

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

what do u mean by start again,u mean should i change the whole set or just the PSU...and how about intex 400 watt psu?...i have used it in my old pc for about 3 years without a single issue?...

and about the shutting of monitor without everything else,that seems like a graphics issue...but yesterday it happened again when my processor was used heavily by winSAT.exe....so what is this partial shutting down due to?....

Wamphryi

Distinguished
If was me I would change the whole computer. If you have a PSU that you think will do the job then it is an option for you. However the fact that you are having to look at swapping out parts so early in your purchase is not a good sign. The fact you are having random shutdowns is not exactly encouraging either. I think that your PSU is the main suspect at the moment but as I say I would change the lot.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Power Supply ratings are rather suspect. Some brands use maximum continuous output, some use maximum surge output. These have completely different meanings. A 400watt Power Supply rated based on Surge Output won't adequately power most systems these days. It's nearly impossible to tell which rating is used though, unless the "continuous output" rating is also stamped on the spec sticker.

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Im heavily leanign towards this myself. I made mistake of getting the Asus P5NT-Deluxe board and Asus VERY quickly stopped putting out updates for it.

luv2break

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
You are not gonna believe what this shutting down was due to...so i have a key board which has extra buttons,like volume,mute, sleep,etc...so this sleep button was the biggest among them and was faulty,it was stuck in the pressed mode...so in a sense the button was always pushed,so whenever there was a bit of movement in the keyboard,it shuts down,or sleeps...i am so happy now,it doesnt happen again....this is the most weird experience with my pc.lol.....