Sign in with
Your question

Modular or non-modular psu?

Last response: in Components
June 17, 2011 11:17:35 AM

I am buying a new system, and have received great advice form this community about my power requirements, and system compatibility. The questions I now have concern the difference between modular and non-modular Psu's, what is the difference and which is better? Will a non-modular psu fit in a mid-tower case or should I go for the more expensive high wattage modular psu's? Please just answer my few questions fully so that I can know the difference too. I thank you all in advance-Bobby the second.(My dad says that no-modular psu's don't fit in mid-tower chassis, i doubt this, but is it true?)

More about : modular modular psu

June 17, 2011 11:59:38 AM

To start with a Modular PSU is those wires that connects to the PSU can be detach and you'll have option for cable wire management and a Non-Modular PSU all connecting wires are bundle like an octopus, as what they say...lol and can get messy inside a case. Practically they are both the same in performance but different in prices. And yes it would fit on your mid tower case.
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 17, 2011 3:04:03 PM

Good cable management is more than possible with non-modular units,
it just takes more thought
There are different size standards for psu's but the one you'll most likely have is Atx, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX for more info,
and yes, as long as the standard size I.E. Atx/ M-atx is supported by your case, it doesn't matter if its modular or not
Trust me on Cable management of nonmod units :p 
No octopus here hehe

Moto
Related resources
June 17, 2011 5:55:29 PM

Overall modular is proffered due to the neatness of the assembly, however I'd recommend semi-modular because I've heard about loose cables on the 24-pin. Though, I'd get a modular.
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 17, 2011 6:02:37 PM

I'm actually choosing a nonmod over a modular on my latest project as its going to be neater than the modular version to manage, but I guess its each on its own merits :) 
Moto
June 17, 2011 6:18:17 PM

You have a point, as long a you have a good cable management Case, non-modular is better because all the cables come from a small orifice. But if you don't have a cable management case, then it is NOT going to be neater. Good thing about modular too, is that there are a wide variety different lengths of cables as well as colors, so you have a lot to choose, and how many to use for your build.
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 17, 2011 6:26:35 PM

I concede the point about the flexibility of modular cables, that imo is the main reason for getting one,
but I strongly believe that cables can always be made to disappear, whatever the case they're in :) 
Hence my tagline :p 
Moto
a b ) Power supply
June 18, 2011 4:35:06 AM

a non modular psu will fit. The difference of that a modular psu will have less wires hanging around, but if you can wire them behind the motherboard back plate (in other part of case, they will not be visible) A non modular has more wires. but you have no risk of wires getting loose, and falling out of certain sockets. A non modular psu is fine, unless you have little space, but in a midi case you should have enough space.
!