Sign in with
Your question

Which case to choose...

Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2011 3:42:17 AM

Hi guys,

I am building a $700 - $900 desktop, and was thinking about using the Sonata IV case / PSU for $180 (with shipping). Is that too much money on just the case? I love the looks of it, and the fact that it has a USB 3.0 port on the front. I just don't know if it's worth the cost.

It's a video editing build, and a GPU is not going to be in this build, as we'll be using sandy bridge's quick sync technology that doesn't work with discrete graphics.

More about : case choose

March 17, 2011 3:56:42 AM

That's pretty steep for a case/PSU in a $1000 build. You might be able to squeeze it in at the top end of your budget if you want it bad enough. 15% is a good ball park for a case and PSU as a % of the overall cost of a system. Do you have any USB 3.0 external devices you need to use?

That 620W PSU is a large part of the higher cost and about double what a i5 2400 & H67 motherboard system needs.
March 17, 2011 4:47:47 AM

CM 690 II $90 on amazon then $70 left over for PSU for the same price as that Antec. But its really personally preference, shoot down to your local Frys/mircocenter/bestbuy to check out some cases.
Related resources
March 17, 2011 10:53:25 AM

Would I have to buy some front panel ports for that?
March 17, 2011 11:55:22 AM

vigorvermin said:
Hi guys,

I am building a $700 - $900 desktop, and was thinking about using the Sonata IV case / PSU for $180 (with shipping). Is that too much money on just the case? I love the looks of it, and the fact that it has a USB 3.0 port on the front. I just don't know if it's worth the cost.

It's a video editing build, and a GPU is not going to be in this build, as we'll be using sandy bridge's quick sync technology that doesn't work with discrete graphics.

www.videoguys.com
for tips to build a video editing pc
March 17, 2011 12:02:37 PM

vigorvermin said:
Would I have to buy some front panel ports for that?
Only if you can't use the rear I/O USB 3.0 ports.
Do you have any USB 3.0 devices or plan to get one with your build? You could get a UBS 3.0 hub and use a rear port.
!