Can I upgrade my laptop with a Low Voltage Pentium M?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 11, 2005 11:55:18 PM

Can I upgrade my laptop with a Low Voltage Pentium M?

I have a Dell D600 which has a standard Pentium M. I noticed that the
Low Voltage Pentium Ms (as opposed to the Very Low Voltage CPUs) use a
voltage range that is contained within the standard Pentium Ms voltage
range. The following figures are for the 90 nm Dothan versions:

Pentium M 0.988 - 1.356
Low Voltage 0.988 - 1.116
Ultra Low Voltage 0.812 - 0.940

This got me wondering if it's possible for laptops to easily support a
low voltage version. Or does the voltage controller need to be of a
higher quality, to accurately provide the very fine voltage
differences that the low voltage versions require? Different speed
steps can require as little as 0.016 of a volt difference when
switching.

I assume that the BIOS has to specifically support a particular CPU,
which is probably going to be the stumbling block if the voltage
controller isn't.
Or can you use something like RMClock to setup custom voltage steps?

Hmmm!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2005 1:05:23 AM

Cuervo wrote:
> Can I upgrade my laptop with a Low Voltage Pentium M?

No.

Regards,

James
April 12, 2005 3:01:25 AM

Cuervo <nonono@nonono.com> wrote:
: Can I upgrade my laptop with a Low Voltage Pentium M?

I doubt it. Why would you want to? I don't think it would improve
battery life all that much vs. a regular Pentium M running at the same
clock speed. If so, manufacturers would already offer the LV Pentium
M as an option in "regular" laptops, but they don't.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
April 16, 2005 11:03:55 AM

>I doubt it. Why would you want to? I don't think it would improve
>battery life all that much vs. a regular Pentium M running at the same
>clock speed. If so, manufacturers would already offer the LV Pentium
>M as an option in "regular" laptops, but they don't.
>
>Andrew

Lower levels of heat and also noise as the fan would need to turn on
less often.
!