Corsair TX650 V2 - Noisy fan

zackarydoo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I've just built my new rig consisting of a CM HAF 912 Plus case, Asus mobo and i5-2500K. The power supply I chose was the Corsair TX650 V2. I chose this as I wanted the quietest PC I could have. I used to have an Antec Sonata III case that I would have kept but I let my Mother have that along with most the rest of my old kit. Although the HAF isn't advertised as a quiet case, it looked like it would be as it has quiet large slow spinning fans. Also I have a CM 212 Plus cooler on my CPU, which has a very quiet 120mm fan attached.

Well after a while looking into how to control my fan speed, switching a couple of fans around with where they connect on the mobo, I was quite happy with the control of them - Apart from the fact it was so noisy! I've eliminated all my fans as causing the noise, including those on my GPU that are small but barely spinning, and they are virtually silent, as are the other fans. I've concluded beyond any doubt that my PSU is the cause of the noise. I'm talking about when under no load of course, and with a heavy load I'd expect the other fans to spin up (although at full speed all but the GPU fans can barely be heard).

Well I chose the TX650 V2 PSU due to it being of high quality, having many excellent reviews, and more than anything the fact that it has a 140mm double ball-bearing fan that adjusts it's speed with temperature. So why is it so loud? Ok so it isn't defining but it's a lot louder than the one that came with my Antec case that had either 1 or 2 smaller fans that I don't believe are ball-bearing ones (Earthwatts 500W), and it completely drowns the sound of my other fans. Even the 120mm that comes with this case is very quiet at full speed.

I don't suppose there is anything I can do about this! I'm just angry as I spent a lot of time and money making sure I had the quietest possible setup, and the only thing that's making a noise is the PSU. Swapping that for another would be a real pain in the neck.

Rant over. :)

Its possible your blade just needs reseating onto its hub,
they can work loose in transport,
try gently but firmly pushing the fan onto where its mounted it might help a touch,
I'm ordering a Tx850 on monday so I'll let you know how that works out
Moto

zackarydoo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks for the tip moto. I'll give it a go, although it is a whirly air type noise as if it's just trying to push a lot of air through. Ok so maybe it needs the cooling but I'm not stressing it at all so I think it could easily run a lot slower during low load conditions.

I have now done some more reading on this and many people are complaining about this PSU's loud fan noise. Strange that with all the research I did before buying any of this near gear, I didn't spot any of those posts! :ange:

You might want to re-think your choice of buying the TX850, but hopefully you won't have the same problem or it won't matter to you if you do.

The case (In win dragon rider) is quite open so potentially noise is an issue, but as the case is heavily modded anyway I'll be addressing some form of sound dampening as well, need the parts in there to do that though,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=311860&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
I had 18 fans in my current system at one time and the noise wasn't an issue at all, but then I clean my case about once a month and part of that is squishing my fans to make sure their sat right, plus I wd40 them now and again too (remove from case before doing if you copy me :p)
drop of oil/grease and make sure the blades sat right, i think you should see an improvement, and I hope you haven't just got a 'meh' quality unit
Moto

zackarydoo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
18 fans? *yikes* I guess I'm not quite at the same level as you when it comes to upgrading and modding. :) Something else I'm a bit worried about with this case is that the PSU is almost sitting on the floor, as it's bottom mounted and the case sits on small stands, only giving around 1-2cm of airflow underneath. That could make the PSU warm up and the fan speed increase. At the moment I have the case open and tilted to make sure that isn't an issue while I "fix" things.

I do love this case, it's lovely both in and out, and despite the noise of my PSU I think the build quality is excellent, and the packaging with a nice cloth bag it came in was impressive. Useless, but impressive.

zackarydoo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I think I shall get some feet for my case, it's a good idea. It's odd but it seems louder to me with the side of the case on. Hmmm....Maybe about the same.

Yea good plan with the cloth bag - Seems a shame to waste it. :)

Another option you could try is noise deadening foam or sponge inside your panels,
it soaks up the noise inside the case, the only issue that I see there is the potential for heat build up, so it'd be a tradeoff but may help if the noise levels are too much,
also make sure all your screws etc are tight, little rattles contribute to annoyingnessism :p

Moto

soulsavior

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
My TX750v2 is dead silent. I had to double check the fan was actually still spinning. You might want to get in touch with Corsair's technical support and see if the noise your fan is making sounds normal to them under the circumstances. Something might be wrong with it.

zackarydoo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

That's interesting, and slightly strange as many people have complained about the noise. I will have to register at their forums and make a post. Thanks for the info.

soulsavior

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Under like a 60%+ load it starts to become audible if you're really listening for it, but I still wouldn't call it disturbing. I really don't think it should be that loud at idle. Fans can always be finicky though, maybe I just got lucky, or maybe I'm going deaf :p

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
calculate your power consumption, and then see on corsairs website the noise levels for that power consumption, also is the noise like that constant, or is it while performing a specific task?

zackarydoo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

My calculated power consumption is said to be 411W, but I somehow doubt very much that's accurate for my fairly mediocre system. It's a constant noise but only air-flow noise, nothing mechanical. It's a bit like the fan's temperature control isn't slowing it down when it isn't needed. Anyway, at 400W the chart on Corsair's website shows about 30db, which I could believe from the sound of it. It's frustrating that my new 200mm fans only give off 19db of noise at full speed! I'm sure they aren't moving as much air though.

I reckon your sitting well there tbh,
maybe some foam in there just to absorb some of the flutter and you should be good, big fans move slower but move the same amount of air, check the cfm on the net for your fans, high numbers mean more air moved obviously, but too much and its noise time again
Moto

zackarydoo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

I have to admit that I'm getting used to it now. Maybe I'm just too used to my old case and PSU, which was very quiet. I probably should have gone for the Antec Earthwatts again as that's what was in my Antec Sonata III case before and I was very happy with it. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now. Maybe I'll sell the PSU and buy something else in a few months if I find it too annoying to put up with.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
my pc also has a corsair psu, a tx 750 it is a bit noisy, but thats normal, it moves large amounts of air, and if you read some reviews they even say that it can get loud. I was worried a bit too, but it seems that its normal. You should get used to it.

zackarydoo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

Yes it does seem that it's just the way they are. I looked up the db of the fans they use when running at full speed and it was something over 40db! Pretty loud for a fan. Like you say, it's moving large amounts of air.

Thanks for all the help, tips and comments above. :D

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Haha, I also worry about my equipment, but yes corsairs are a bit loud, but people say that they are reliable, keep it for a few months, you will get used to it. Try wearing headphones while gaming.