ms win 98
ms win xp
ms win vista
ms win 7

MAC os
Linux

etc

which is the minumum os that can be installed on a i3 or i5 or i7 cpu's

if i tried to install WIN xp sp2 on i5 it got installed properly without any error but after installation it started to hang, slow process lots of time to log in the system. . . . so on !!!!!!!!!

so which is the best os to use

Win 95 and Win 98 are no good because the lack driver support for current motherboards.

Win XP is possible, but you may find some motherboard drivers may not exist. Win XP also lacks native support for SATA drives. Therefore, you need to have SATA drivers ready on a disk when installing Win XP; otherwise you will not be able to install Win XP on a SATA hard drive.

Win Vista would be the minimum since there will be no driver support issues.

Win 7 would be the best since people like it a lot more than Win Vista.

The CPU itself will have no issues running any OS. Its the motherboard which would decide the stability on any particular OS because of reasons as explained by Jaguarskx. So on windows front, the minimum is windows 7. I know vista will also be supported but there's hardly much difference between vista and 7. Infact one can as well tell that 7 is vista done right. The same goes for all linux distro's and Mac variants. All you need is the proper motherboard drivers.

Both of these answers are great for this question. While there are some support issues for some features like Virtualization that wasn’t supported on earlier OS’s the best way to find support for processor is to check compatibility on the board. Here is supported OS’s list for a number of Intel® Desktop Boards http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-008326.htm. One more thing for Linux support you can most likely find drivers outside of Intel that will support the product that you are looking at.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

TRENDING THREADS