Memory Problems

Myysterio

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I have a MS-6702 which claims to support up to 2GB DDR 400 RAM, but when I put in the last 512MB of RAM, windows XP will not boot past the loading screen.

I don't know if my 512GB of Dual Sided corsair RAM is worth replacing with this 1.0 GB if its just random knock off RAM.

Yes, I know my computer is old, but I am poor and can't afford to build a new one.

Myysterio

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Note: Computer is running 1GB of this "new" RAM in slot 1 and 512MB of my "old" (better) RAM in slot 2. If i put the other 512MB of "good" ram in the third slot, windows will not boot. Motherboard makes it past the memory test when starting up just fine.

Knarmahfox

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Could be your timing. All though if you surpass the max amount of RAM for a board you will run into problems. Also if you use differernt brands of RAM some borads flip out, especially if your using an older system and putting new ram in.

Try running your system with each stick of ram

Boot up with one stick in slot A1 and see if it boots
then take the next stick and replace the previous stick in slot A1

your just testing each individual stick to see if there is a issue with the RAM it self. If they all work then that can rule out if the ram has an issue.

Maybe your thrid slot B1 is bad? hard to say.

Myysterio

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Mobo max is 2GB, that's exactly what I put in.

I did the swapping thing and that is the only way I could get it up to 1.5GB. Apparently windows does not like the RAM being in the third slot. I even went with three 512 MB chips and it crapped out. Which is really strange, because the Mobo finds nothing wrong with the RAM when it does the memory test during boot.

Armored_Seraph

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
It's likely a bus issue if it works in one slot and not another. Despite having 2,3, or 4 mem slots MBs often use them in pairs. Pairing is usually described in manuals for the board but not always. I've run into it a few times. In short the MB prefers (and sometimes refuses to operate) when unmatched ram sticks are used in inappropriate slots. In my opinion it's a result of shoddy coding.
478's were notorious for ram compatability issues. You ran into low density (higher compatibility) versus high density (low compatability). Some boards were even so picky as to discriminate against certain brands (Dell hates a lot of ram from the 478 catagory).
A good solution may be a bios upgrade. Check your version against others. A newer one may increase the compatability of the ram. It may also save yourself a lot of headache with other components. BUT!! Be sure to check any bios version BEFORE you install it. See what results others got out of it. Newer is not always better.
You said Double Sided ram. Which is usually High Density. If the other two are low density this may be the problem.