Some advice and input needed

Syres

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
hi,

just thinking about building a new system and I was hoping to get some input from the pros :)

The system is more or less a gaming and multimedia pc and this is what got on my mind:

CPU: INTEL Core i7 - 2600K, 3,40GHz, LGA1155, Quad-Core, Boxed
Cooling System: CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H70 with Arctic Silver 5

MB: S-1155 ASUS P67 Sabertooth (Rev.3.0), ATX

GPU: PCI-E 2.0 ASUS ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5, retail, 1024MB

RAM: DDR3-RAM KIT 8 GB, 1866 MHz, CL9, CORSAIR XMS3 Dominator GT Timing: 9-9-9-24

HD: 2x SATA 6Gb/s Seagate Barracuda XT, 2 TB, 64MB Cache

PSU: ATX 750 Watt, THERMALTAKE Toughpower Grand, 80Plus-Gold

SC: CREATIVE Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series (dont like the onboard one)

Housing: NZXT Phantom Big-Tower, white
(http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom)

The complete system is around 1.900 Euro - could I have more performance for that money?

Don't be gentile don't be kind just tell me right away what you think :)

btw: I dont intend to go sli, so the PSU should be strong enough, or not?

Thanks for reading and honest replays and I hope my english was not too bad, has been quite some time since I last wrote something . . .

Regards

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Only suggestion I have is find some RAM thats CAS 7 latency @ 1600. I personally don't use a sound card, but you've specified you want it.

The PSU is 80 PLUS GOLD which is awesome. I think you have a pretty sound well rounded build to be perfectly honest.

4745454b

Titan
Its good, but not well rounded for a gaming machine. Drop down to the 2500K and get a bigger video card. Get GTX570 or 6970. If this is to be a gaming machine, you'll need the GPU power. I agree with the ram comment though.

Syres

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
The only Ram my local supplier with cl7 would be these:

DDR3-RAM KIT 4 GB, 1600 MHz, CL7, KINGSTON HyperX Genesis

KIT bestehend aus 2 Modulen zu je 2 GB, Timing: 7-8-7-20, Spannung: 1.65 Volt, XMP - INTEL Extreme Memory Profile, Für Core i3/i5/i7, Core2 - Dual Channel

Question is: The Ram I postet first were @1866 shouldn't they not still be faster even with more cl?

Thanks for the answers btw

4745454b

Titan
General rule of thumb is each speed step is worth ~ one speed bump. So 1600 @ CL8 should be ~ to 1866 @ CL9. One of the reasons you want 1600 with CL 7 (and as low as a voltage as you can find) is that it will be high quality ram, capable of OCing. If you bump up the voltage and go to CL 9, you should be able to hit 2000+. If you start with CL9 ram right off the bat, you probably won't go as far.

Edit: Forgot to say, if you aren't worried about OCing, then just get whatever is cheap. It won't make a difference to you.

Syres

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Ok, never saw it that way, but I think I got the idea :)

OC is not the biggest topic for me, but I love to have the option to push it a little bit without worrying to fry the system. Besides we all know how it is, day one you got a nice system and two years later you need to tune it to have at least some fun with it :) - hmmm guess its not only a computer thing ^^

OK final Question SSD --> anybody tried? I know the theory, but is it just a paper thing oder does it really boost the systemspeed?

4745454b

Titan
There's OCing and then there is OVERCLOCKING. Stock or mild overclocks and just about any ram should do. But if you want to push with tight timings, the CL7 ram seems to be the stuff to get.

SSDs are great if you can afford them. As a "gaming and multimedia" machine I'm not totally convinced you need one. I'd go with a 3 screen setup with the biggest video cards before worrying about something that will load my games a few seconds faster. Up to you though, its not like you have a junk machine there.