I Need a Batch Photo Resizer & Webpage Maker -- Do You Kno..

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 10, 2005 12:47:13 PM

I'm looking for a reasonably priced (< $50) program that will:

o Allow me to batch resize images using a custom max width/max
height.
o Sharpen after resizing.
o Compress as much as necessary to stay below a given file size (e.g.
120Kb).
o Create a webpage thumbnail index linked to the resized images
above.
o Allow me to set the same criteria for the thumbnails as for the
main images (i.e., max width/height, sharpening, file size.
o Produce good quality images (assuming high compression isn't
needed)

Does such a beast exist?

Ken
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:44:28 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:47:13 -0600, in rec.photo.digital Ken Hall
<kenhall2REMOVE@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a reasonably priced (< $50) program that will:
>
>o Allow me to batch resize images using a custom max width/max
>height.
>o Sharpen after resizing.
>o Compress as much as necessary to stay below a given file size (e.g.
>120Kb).
>o Create a webpage thumbnail index linked to the resized images
>above.
>o Allow me to set the same criteria for the thumbnails as for the
>main images (i.e., max width/height, sharpening, file size.
>o Produce good quality images (assuming high compression isn't
>needed)
>
>Does such a beast exist?

JAlousie and it's free.
http://jalbum.net

See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:47:24 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:44:28 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
<egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:

>JAlousie and it's free.
Blasted spell checker, JAlbum
>http://jalbum.net

See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
February 10, 2005 8:32:38 PM

> Does such a beast exist?

Yes. Try the excellent and free Jalbum from:

http://www.jalbum.net/

Theres a wide variety of different web album types and an active community
working on new improved ways of displaying photos.

Scott
February 10, 2005 10:10:31 PM

Ken Hall <kenhall2REMOVE@houston.rr.com> wrote in
rec.photo.digital:

> I'm looking for a reasonably priced (< $50) program that will:
>
> o Allow me to batch resize images using a custom max width/max
> height.
> o Sharpen after resizing.
> o Compress as much as necessary to stay below a given file size
> (e.g. 120Kb).
> o Create a webpage thumbnail index linked to the resized images
> above.
> o Allow me to set the same criteria for the thumbnails as for
> the main images (i.e., max width/height, sharpening, file size.
> o Produce good quality images (assuming high compression isn't
> needed)

Maybe not all, but Multiple Image Resizer .NET can do some.

http://www.acumensystems.com/mir/

--
CeeBee

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:11:54 AM

Try Porta found here http://www.stegmann.dk/mikkel/porta/ IMO it leaves
JAlbum in the dust.

KB

"Ken Hall" <kenhall2REMOVE@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a reasonably priced (< $50) program that will:
>
> o Allow me to batch resize images using a custom max width/max
> height.
> o Sharpen after resizing.
> o Compress as much as necessary to stay below a given file size (e.g.
> 120Kb).
> o Create a webpage thumbnail index linked to the resized images
> above.
> o Allow me to set the same criteria for the thumbnails as for the
> main images (i.e., max width/height, sharpening, file size.
> o Produce good quality images (assuming high compression isn't
> needed)
>
> Does such a beast exist?
>
> Ken
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:19:14 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:47:13 -0600, Ken Hall
<kenhall2REMOVE@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a reasonably priced (< $50) program that will:
>
>o Allow me to batch resize images using a custom max width/max
>height.
>o Sharpen after resizing.
>o Compress as much as necessary to stay below a given file size (e.g.
>120Kb).
>o Create a webpage thumbnail index linked to the resized images
>above.
>o Allow me to set the same criteria for the thumbnails as for the
>main images (i.e., max width/height, sharpening, file size.
>o Produce good quality images (assuming high compression isn't
>needed)
>
>Does such a beast exist?
>
>Ken
Thanks to all who replied. I'm downloading now.

Ken
February 11, 2005 11:53:08 AM

Ken Hall wrote:
> I'm looking for a reasonably priced (< $50) program that will:
>
> o Allow me to batch resize images using a custom max width/max
> height.
> o Sharpen after resizing.

Irfanview will do these two for free.

> o Compress as much as necessary to stay below a given file size (e.g.
> 120Kb).

The only programs I've seen to actually do this are php based web
galleries that step through recursively trying different settings until
it gets below the max permitted size. You upload the full version tot he
web & it does everything for you. Your host will need PHP (commonly
free) and a mySQL database which costs extra but it is a nice solution
except for having to upload huge images. It would be possible to install
locally with an apache server then mirror the database & files to the
public hosted web site to avoid the large file uploads.

> o Create a webpage thumbnail index linked to the resized images
> above.

Many many options. I don't know of any that apply sharpening though
there may be.

> o Allow me to set the same criteria for the thumbnails as for the
> main images (i.e., max width/height, sharpening, file size.

Irfanview and others unfortunately don't do the thumbs and web images in
one swoop but I think the web gallery programs generally don't do
sharpening.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:39:23 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:47:24 -0500, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:44:28 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
><egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>JAlousie and it's free.
>>http://jalbum.net

I thought I posted this last night but I don't see it so . . .

I've downloaded and installed JAlbum, but so far I don't see where I
can specify the maximum file size to generate, and I see no mention of
sharpening. Am I missing something?

Ken
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:26:44 PM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:39:23 -0600, in rec.photo.digital Ken Hall
<kenhall2REMOVE@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:47:24 -0500, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:44:28 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
>><egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>JAlousie and it's free.
>>>http://jalbum.net
>
>I thought I posted this last night but I don't see it so . . .
>
>I've downloaded and installed JAlbum, but so far I don't see where I
>can specify the maximum file size to generate, and I see no mention of
>sharpening. Am I missing something?

Main tab if you choose image linking to via scaled images or to scaled
images only then you have the option on the right in image bounds to input
your image size. Under the advanced tab you can set jpeg quality Hmmm, I
thought there was a sharpening setting here, but seems I was mistaken.

Checking the help manual you can use many image filter and Sharpen is just
one of them. If you've installed JAlbum bring up the Help Topics and check
the Image filters section.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
February 12, 2005 4:07:02 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:47:13 -0600, Ken Hall
<kenhall2REMOVE@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a reasonably priced (< $50) program that will:
>
>o Allow me to batch resize images using a custom max width/max
>height.
>o Sharpen after resizing.
>o Compress as much as necessary to stay below a given file size (e.g.
>120Kb).
>o Create a webpage thumbnail index linked to the resized images
>above.
>o Allow me to set the same criteria for the thumbnails as for the
>main images (i.e., max width/height, sharpening, file size.
>o Produce good quality images (assuming high compression isn't
>needed)

XnView.

http://www.xnview.com/

And it's free.