Upgrade an emachine t3642 CPU?

buddog

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hello,
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I currently have an old emachine T3642 and would like some guidance in regards to upgrading the CPU (if it's even possible).
I have upgrade the RAM from 1gig to 2gigs - however the CPU seems to clock at 100% more frequently than I would care for.
The machine is being used in an office environment and not used for games or graphics.

The current CPU is:
AMD Athlon 64 processor 4000+ 2.6 GHz
System Type 32-bit

I have researched a bit and have found that the CPU socket on this motherboard supports AMD AM2-type processors with a 2000 MT/S system bus... however, I'm not a tech and not 100% confidant in purchasing a CPU without a 2nd opinion.

SO - can anyone provide some guidance on:
1. Can I upgrade this CPU
2. (if yes) What CPU should I get?

Thank you again.

buddog

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
popatim - thank you so much for your quick reply and providing that link.

I was able to use the criteria search and generate a list - however my motherboard was not listed and frankly I'm not sure what exactly I am looking at or how to interpret the data provided.
I searched for:
Compatibility for AMD : Socket AM2 : AM2 Athlon 64 4000+ 2.6G / L2 Cache : 512KB / Watt : 59W

My current motherboard is listed as:
MCP61SM2MA AM2 uATX motherboard. ...but was not on that list (that I could find)

The compatibility list foxconnsupport generated included:

PCB Version - No idea what this is referencing or how I locate it. A Google search mentioned that it was printed on the motherboard - but I was unable to find it.

Bios Version - GATEWA - 42302e31 )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG oC(Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
I don't see my BIOS version listed. I'm guessing that I am looking for the 42302 number?

Sorry for the follow up question - as I mentioned I am not overly tech savvy when it comes to hardware .

Thanks again for your assistance.