Internet + LAN Questions(networking n00b)

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
So, current situation is this: My dad's got an XP computer with 2 networks ports. 1 configured for internet only, one configured for LAN only. We're using a cable modem with no router. We've got a heap of other computers using the LAN (we have a hub for it). Both he and I are getting computers soonish and his computer needs internet and mine will too, plus there's the computer I'm currently typing on; so he's decided to get a router.

My question is, what's the best way to configure everything so that the new computers can access both internet and LAN? (He's planning to get a mobo with dual-LAN and stick with what he knows (Gigabyte P55A-UD4P), but I'm only getting single-LAN (Asus P7P55D-E PRO so I can USB3 + Crossfire). Both new computers will be running Windows 7 HP 64-bit, the old computer will continue running XP Pro 32-bit (SP1 and before you ask, for reasons unknown we can't update, so pls don't ask me to get the new service packs)

Thanks and please remember that I'm a complete n00b this (well not complete.. but pretty close :))

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Most routers (every one I've used) have the ability to block internet access for computers connected to them.

Here is just one example. If you find a router you want you can always check with the manufacturer first to ensure they have this capability.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC/en/products/WRT54GH

Access Controls for Parents
Of growing concern for parents is the amount and type of Internet access their families have. The Wireless-G Home Router with SpeedBurst can help. Parents can create policies for each PC in the house, to control access by time and day, specific website, keyword, protocols, or applications.

For each PC in the house:
Specify Internet availability by time and day of the week
Block specific websites by web address or categories keyword
Block specific Internet protocols like FTP, POP3, IMAP, or SMTP
Block specific applications, like online games, by communication ports used

I am not sure if ICS can do this as I've never actually used it.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
If you use a router and block the computers you do not wish to have access you will only need one NIC on each computer and connect them to the router. For the computers on the hub you can run a cable from the router to the hub to connect all of them since you said you have "a heap of other computers".

If you use ICS you will need one computer with two NICs. All others can use one NIC to connect to the hub.

You could also go with the router and your seperate LAN if you want. You would just need to have two NICs in the two computers requiring internet access. Connect one to the router and the other to the hub. All computers that do not need access will just be connected to the hub as you have them setup now.

I'm sure there are other ways to configure this but nothing else is coming to mind atm.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Yes but there is nothing wrong with 192.168.X.X. This is a reserved private address space. It will be the default your router uses and the addresses it hands out to your computers with Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). For internet traffic the router uses Network Address Translation (NAT) because most ISPs only supply you with 1 real IP address. If you want more information on these you can check out the links below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Lol I think this'll be the last question...

Is it possible to interface the my current network hub (thing) with the router if they both have a WAN port? And if so what would the internet and LAN connections be like? (haven't worded it very well, but I can't think of how better to ask....... so with the Router doing internet+LAN to the computers linked to it, what would the computers on the hub receive? sort of?)

Thanks for helping me with this. :D

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

Connect the cable modem to the WAN port on the router. The hub would connect to a LAN port on the router. I have never seen a hub with a WAN port... Many hubs / switches have an uplink port. If your hub has an uplink port use this to connect to the router. Usually this will be port 1 on your hub / switch.

By default the computers on the router and hub would have internet access. This would continue until you configure the router to block the computers you do not want to have access.

You're welcome.