Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns on, but no signal to monitor

Last response: in Motherboards
February 18, 2012 6:40:43 PM

I bought a new PC from Cyberpower, and it turns on fine, and then a red light comes on in the motherboard and the monitor gets no signal. Everything is plugged in fine, I just cant get signal to monitor. Thanks in advance for help.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
February 18, 2012 7:01:00 PM

Post the PC specs...

Check power to the GPU.
m
l
February 18, 2012 7:04:01 PM

CARE1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
CAS: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage (Black Color)
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan [+14]
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_CS: None
GLASSES: None
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MB_SRT: None
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory [+24] (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOPAD1: Razer Small Goliathus Omega Control Mouse Pad [+12]
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard LucidLogix Virtu and Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID,2 3 PCIe Gen2, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 3CI (All Venom OC Certified)
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
NCSW: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels [+29]
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+14]
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: Free Microsoft(R) Office(R) 2010 STARTER EDITION (Reduced-Functionality versions of Word and Excel that include advertising) [+0]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 120 Watt Stereo Speakers [+10] (Black Color)
TEMP: None
TUNING: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+123] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2012 7:17:54 PM

Was your PC shipped to you? Did it have the video card mounted in the MB? Mine was shipped with the card separate so I had to mount it to the MB.

If yours was shipped attached then maybe it has come loose. But check to see if opening the case voids warranty coverage (some are snarky that way).

So I suggest checking the mounting of the card, power connections to the card and verify the comm cable between the MB and monitor is correct ie to the card and not the MB port.

m
l
February 18, 2012 9:24:34 PM

Did you connect the monitor cable to the Graphics card or the motherboard video port? You could try the VGA port on the motherboard to ensure the motherboard is fine.
m
l
February 19, 2012 3:23:19 PM

Check the stupid stuff first. It's bit me in the rear more times than I care to admit... really. Soooo...
Check the phisical cables. Make sure if it takes an added power connector that you have connected one.
Check the actual video cables and make sure they are propely connected and show no overly loose connections. (static in monitor when you barely touch it)
Next is on to the bios. (I did not check your board for onboard features)
Make sure your bios video is set to the correct out if it has one. Onboard video is often set up as default and will stop output on some motherboards. So you may have to tell it which you are wanting to use under the bios settings.
Lastly is the monitor. Most modern day LCD or flatpanels often come with a source input feature. Some automatically detect, other have to be set manually.
Lastly, if possible test the vid card in another machine to make sure it's not a dud or didn't give out.
I hope this worked for you.
m
l
February 25, 2012 7:29:41 PM

I just bought almost the same spec computer from the same company and am having the same exact issue you are, I just sent back the video card in hopes its a dud.
m
l
March 26, 2014 11:30:27 PM

My graphics card fried and took out my motherboard as well.

I actually was fortunate enough to RMA both the motherboard and graphics card.

ASRock gave me the same model motherboard as replacement.

XFX gave me a R9-270X-CDFC.

I feel very and lucky to have bought items from these great companies.
m
l
!