AMD Phenom II x4 955 or 965 cpu fan help

wasabi91

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Hi guys, i just bought a new motherboard
ASUS AMD Socket AM3 790X/SB750 New Generation 8+2 Phase Power Design ATX DDR3 1066 Motherboard M4A79XTD EVO
and i plan on buying the AMD Phenom II x4 955 or 965 and i was wondering if anyone could help me find a cpu fan that will keep my cpu cool, has a 4 pin plugin, isnt over 6.5 inches in height, and i would like one that i can install without removing the backplate off my motherboard.

Feel free to post any suggestions
Thanks

That last request is the killer. Most decent heatsinks need their own backplate to apply sufficient pressure. I think you may just end up taking that backplate off (unless your case, like mine, has a nasty cable system in the backplate: I just unscrewed my mobo, got the sink on and screwed it back in).
I got a Xigmatek SD963 because of height; it's 5.3 inches.

Uther39

Distinguished
This is the only one i can think of that will meet your needs.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctua-nh-u12-do-amd-opteron-cpu-cooler

1471361-a.jpg

Based on Noctua's NH-U12P and NH-U9B series and fitted with their award-winning Vortex Control fans and NT-H1 thermal compound, the NH-U12 DO and NH-U9 DO form a complete premium quality package that provides outstanding quiet cooling performance for AMD Opteron workstations and servers. The NH-U12 DO and NH-U9 DO's SecuFirm™ mounting system screws directly to the standard backplate and makes the NH-U12 DO and NH-U9 DO a simple drop-in replacement for AMD stock coolers.

Can be turned by 90° for optimal compatibility and positioning
The NH-U12 DO can be installed rotated by 90° to allow for an optimal positioning of the cooler and to evade compatibility issues on dual socket motherboards.

Drop-in replacement for standard AMD coolers
The NH-U12 DO SecuFirm™ mounting system screws directly to the standard Socket F backplate in order to facilitate the installation process.

The award-winning NF-P12 premium fan
Featuring psychoacoustic optimisations and Noctua's premium-grade SSO-bearing, the award-winning NF-P12 is renowned for its exceptional quietness and long-term stability.

NT-H1 thermal compound
Noctua's much-acclaimed NT-H1 is a pro-grade TIM solution that provides minimum thermal resistance, excellent ease-of-use and outstanding reliability.

Manufacturer: Noctua Material: Aluminium/ Copper
Socket Compatibility: 754
F (1207)
Adjustable Fan Speed Controller:
Approx Fan Speed: 1300 rpm Fan Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Fan Airflow: 57.68 CFM Heatsink Dimensions: 158 x 126 x 71 mm (WxHxD)
Sound Level: 19.8 dB