Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II x4 955 or 965 cpu fan help

Last response: in CPUs
June 17, 2011 10:24:06 PM

Hi guys, i just bought a new motherboard
ASUS AMD Socket AM3 790X/SB750 New Generation 8+2 Phase Power Design ATX DDR3 1066 Motherboard M4A79XTD EVO
and i plan on buying the AMD Phenom II x4 955 or 965 and i was wondering if anyone could help me find a cpu fan that will keep my cpu cool, has a 4 pin plugin, isnt over 6.5 inches in height, and i would like one that i can install without removing the backplate off my motherboard.

Feel free to post any suggestions
Thanks
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 17, 2011 11:01:53 PM

That last request is the killer. Most decent heatsinks need their own backplate to apply sufficient pressure. I think you may just end up taking that backplate off (unless your case, like mine, has a nasty cable system in the backplate: I just unscrewed my mobo, got the sink on and screwed it back in).
I got a Xigmatek SD963 because of height; it's 5.3 inches.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 17, 2011 11:49:28 PM

This is the only one i can think of that will meet your needs.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctua-nh-u12-do-amd-opt...

Based on Noctua's NH-U12P and NH-U9B series and fitted with their award-winning Vortex Control fans and NT-H1 thermal compound, the NH-U12 DO and NH-U9 DO form a complete premium quality package that provides outstanding quiet cooling performance for AMD Opteron workstations and servers. The NH-U12 DO and NH-U9 DO's SecuFirm™ mounting system screws directly to the standard backplate and makes the NH-U12 DO and NH-U9 DO a simple drop-in replacement for AMD stock coolers.

Can be turned by 90° for optimal compatibility and positioning
The NH-U12 DO can be installed rotated by 90° to allow for an optimal positioning of the cooler and to evade compatibility issues on dual socket motherboards.

Drop-in replacement for standard AMD coolers
The NH-U12 DO SecuFirm™ mounting system screws directly to the standard Socket F backplate in order to facilitate the installation process.

The award-winning NF-P12 premium fan
Featuring psychoacoustic optimisations and Noctua's premium-grade SSO-bearing, the award-winning NF-P12 is renowned for its exceptional quietness and long-term stability.

NT-H1 thermal compound
Noctua's much-acclaimed NT-H1 is a pro-grade TIM solution that provides minimum thermal resistance, excellent ease-of-use and outstanding reliability.

Manufacturer: Noctua Material: Aluminium/ Copper
Socket Compatibility: 754
F (1207)
Adjustable Fan Speed Controller:
Approx Fan Speed: 1300 rpm Fan Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Fan Airflow: 57.68 CFM Heatsink Dimensions: 158 x 126 x 71 mm (WxHxD)
Sound Level: 19.8 dB
!