CPU not being recognised

juliaattoms

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hi,

I have just upgraded the RAM of a Acer Aspire L3600 computer, running Windows Vista to 2GB as the performance wasn't good enough.

My problem is that the lead from the board to the CD drive has come away and I cannot see how to connect it again (the clip to the board is fine - it's the connection on the drive itself I'm referring to). I can connect it but it won't stay in place - even when connected drive operates but Windows cannot see it. There appears to be an area of metal "heads" on both leads and the connector, and a small slot into which the lead goes, but nothing I can see to hold it there.

I've done many upgrades on desktop and laptop computers, but never seen this type of cable connection on this "mini desktop PC".

I do hope you can help me, because I want to avoid having to take it to the shop for attention, especially when it is now running so well, albeit without my built in CD drive.

Regards,
Julia

Hmm... the title of your post is very misleading. You make absolutely no mention of the Central Processing Unit. Regardless, I believe you're refering to the pins, or as you call them "heads". This type of connection is called ntegrated Drive Electronics, or IDE. The common difficulty with this old type of interface is that all the pins need to be inserted into their respective holes on the associated cable. If you have in fact installed the cable, which can only be installed one way (due to the placement of the elevation difference on the connector), then the most likely reason that the drive is not detected is because of a bent pin.

Pull the IDE ribbon-style cable off of the CD drive. Carefully remove any view-obstructing devices, and then check the CD drive for any bent pins. If you find any, VERY CAREFULLY bend them back into place. This requires a great deal of precision and patience, as the pins, once bent, become less sturdy.

juliaattoms

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hi - Thanks for replying so quickly. I realised just after posting that I'd written CPU instead of CD drive - so I posted a new thread with the correct title. I can't see any "pins" on the cable at the CD end - just a line of tiny metal "tabs" which seem to go into the slot, but my problem is being able to connect it securely.

Can you help me further ?

I will try.

This is what a SATA interface is:

sata.jpg

Is this what your cables look like?

This is an IDE interface:

ide-ribbon.jpg

Is this what your cable looks like?