Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Pci x16 express slot's power to video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2011 2:18:21 AM

Hello,
I am wondering why my new video card is asking for a 300 watt power supply when i read that the PCI x 16 express slot only delivers 75 watts?

the Slot is the only source of power for this card.

Will this damage my mother board?

thank you
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2011 3:52:44 AM

That's 300w (at least) for the entire system.
Score
January 13, 2011 3:26:23 PM

Thank you Jaguarskx: yes I see. Please forgive my ignorance, but if 75 watts is designed for the PCI slot, and is expected, why would one card ask for 300, and another for 400 watts?

Just trying to understand and learn, I should not need to increase mine (card requires pc at 300/ I have 300) but might just for the heck of it.

Thank you for your response
I am just an old dog trying to learn new tricks lol
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2011 3:47:49 PM

howard664 said:
Thank you Jaguarskx: yes I see. Please forgive my ignorance, but if 75 watts is designed for the PCI slot, and is expected, why would one card ask for 300, and another for 400 watts?

Just trying to understand and learn, I should not need to increase mine (card requires pc at 300/ I have 300) but might just for the heck of it.

Thank you for your response
I am just an old dog trying to learn new tricks lol

the 300w or 400w recommendation is just that a recommendation made by the video card maker to supply you with info on the approximate system needs for a system running that video card -- It will vary depending on how cautious the company is and how old the recommendations are - since there are a number of variables -- for example does the system use a 45w sempron or a 125w Phenom II CPU ? How many Ram Modules is the system using? How many HDDs and DVD drives? How many USB devices are getting powered ? How close to the rated Spec does the PSU actually perform (some cheap makes overstate the output by testing in a refridgerated room since cooler temps allow more output) ? etc.etc. -- so the GPU maker has to provide some sort of recommendation on what size PSU is needed but there are a lot of variables that will determine if your system needs more or less than that recommendation -- and to be safe you normally want to exceed that amount since PSUs will perform more efficiently and also last longer if you only use around 50-60% of its capacity since as units age the overall output declines and the closer to the max you are pushing it the faster the parts degrade.
January 15, 2011 12:49:59 PM

Thank you, these posts help. :) 

JDFan said:
the 300w or 400w recommendation is just that a recommendation made by the video card maker to supply you with info on the approximate system needs for a system running that video card -- It will vary depending on how cautious the company is and how old the recommendations are - since there are a number of variables -- for example does the system use a 45w sempron or a 125w Phenom II CPU ? How many Ram Modules is the system using? How many HDDs and DVD drives? How many USB devices are getting powered ? How close to the rated Spec does the PSU actually perform (some cheap makes overstate the output by testing in a refridgerated room since cooler temps allow more output) ? etc.etc. -- so the GPU maker has to provide some sort of recommendation on what size PSU is needed but there are a lot of variables that will determine if your system needs more or less than that recommendation -- and to be safe you normally want to exceed that amount since PSUs will perform more efficiently and also last longer if you only use around 50-60% of its capacity since as units age the overall output declines and the closer to the max you are pushing it the faster the parts degrade.

Score
January 26, 2011 12:25:04 AM

Best answer selected by howard664.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2011 11:58:17 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!