Sign in with
Your question

Strange Case Fan noise issue

Last response: in Components
June 18, 2011 1:15:03 AM

A couple months ago, I've started having some issues with a case fan making a very annoying whining noise. I've been able to stop the whining at points by banging the area near the fa, (which I have stopped doing for obvious reasons), and can currently solve the noise issue by adjusting the screws of the fan when the noise appears.

However, adjusting the screws does take some time, thanks to the fact that the whining occurs if too tight, while screw rattling noises occur if the screws are too loose. In addition, even when I get the fan into a position where it makes no noise, when the computer gets turned off and turned on again after some time, the screw rattling noise comes back and I need to readjust everything again.

Does anyone have any other ideas for what to do/what may be causing this? (I have checked for wires after seeing that suggested somewhere else for a similar problem.)
June 18, 2011 1:28:42 AM

If you're sure that it's the fan, then why not replace it with a quality one? That would take care of the issue.
m
l
June 20, 2011 2:19:02 AM

Partially I don't want to spend extra money if I can avoid it (Even though fans sounds relatively cheap, it's still money going away), and partly because I don't want to just blindly spend money without really knowing what the issue is. (It seems to be something related to how the fan is aligned, but other than that I don't have any ideas.)
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2011 2:28:13 AM

Are you sure the fan isn't vibrating? Does the noise go away if you stop the fan by applying some pressure on it?
m
l
June 24, 2011 4:25:38 PM

It is definitely the fan (Tried stopping it today, plus the noise comes directly from where the fan is, plus messing with the fan stops both vibrations and whines when I do it right), the main issue as mentioned above is wondering why the vibrations and whining occurs when it does.
m
l
June 24, 2011 5:01:03 PM

If it were me, I'd trash that fan and replace it with a quality one.
m
l
!