Sign in with
Your question

Cookie Cutter Water Cooled Gaming/Rendering Computer - $2k

Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2011 4:53:13 PM

Hi! I'm interested in a solid cookie cutter computer with the possibility of water cooling so I can OC. Ive been reading a lot on WC Systems, but find myself wanting to piece the system together before figuring out the best cooling solution. Is now a good time to start building a new PC or is the new ultimate juggernaut technology releasing next month going to stomp my $2k system?

I really want help with this and I'm open to any suggestions. As it stands now my current PC has a huge dust problem. I have to clean the case out monthly. Hoping a WC system would be less hassle?

My old Logitech 4.1 speaker setup is glitchy and gritty and needs to be thrown out. Ive used it for nearly 10 years. Also, my Dell refurbished monitor needs to be gone as well.

That being said I need to use about 1500 for the computer. and the extra 500 for the Monitor, Keyboard, and Speakers.

This build can exceed my 2k budget, however, I'd like to keep it under just because it seems more practical.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!

---------------------

Uses: Gaming and Rending in After Effects and Cinema 4D, so I need good ram.

---------------------

- BUILD -

Processor - Intel i7-2600K

Memory - Minimum 8gig. Would like more since I will be rendering a lot. Low cache speed?

HDDs - Possibly Solid State for the OS and a big HD for my files. Around 2T would be a good size. for my secondary

MoBo - Something to compliment my Intel and support sli/crossfire for the future

GPU - Fast. Efficient. Would really like to go with Nvidia since its been nearly a decade since Ive used one. Also one that could be easily used in a water cooling system?

Case - No preference. Just one that can support Water Cooling and give me space. If i go with WC then a window would be nice. If I dont WC then a black case will suffice. I cannot stand LED lights in a case as they are too bright.

Soundcard - not needed

------------------------

Monitor - 1080p prefereable from 23-26 inches

Keyboard - Logitech i guess? Something that will help my poor wrists.

Speakers - Logitech 5.1

------------------------

March 17, 2011 5:54:51 PM

The real juggernaut will be Intel's new Ivy Bridge due out Q4 this year, but it will be much overkill for anyone's basic needs and will further distance Intel away from AMD. It is to replace the 1336 CPUs. I can't wait.....Quad Memory Channel....drool...

But sandy bridge (i7 2600K) has already proven to be the king right now in terms of performance and price.
March 18, 2011 12:32:38 AM

Could really use some help. I know as soon as I complete the build there will be people telling me what hardware is way better. Can anyone throw me some ideas?
March 18, 2011 12:44:18 PM

Quote:
Is now a good time to start building a new PC or is the new ultimate juggernaut technology releasing next month going to stomp my $2k system?

Potentially both outright raw horsepower and most definitely i suspect price/performance would see some serious change so if 2-3 mths wait is fine

Since peeps been waiting this long for the top end i suggest for healthier/fatter budgets to
1. Await Z68 chipsets, Zambezi AM3+ on platform front
2. Await HD 6990/GTX 590 on the GPU front and price revisions trickle down lower down the foodchain
3. Await the Sandforce SATA 6GB/s SSDs to hit retailers :p 

Leaked: FAH score of a 4 way Interlagos Bulldozer <--Pay attention to floating point numbers/chip architecture
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2148217

Intel Z68 Express Chipset Preview
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68-express-lucidlo...
!