Sign in with
Your question

What new motherboard will fit in Compaq Presario 5000 case?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 15, 2012 7:48:02 AM

I want to make a newer computer and would like to know what kind of motherboard I may need to look for, size or type. I have a 2001 Compaq Presario 5000 Series tower, motherboard sp #252608 001. I would like to know what kind would fit it. I'm not necessarily looking for a brand new one but one closer to the end of the last decade. I'll probably still use XP on this system.
Thank you in advance.
Jason
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2012 9:34:37 AM

The only specs I can find says it uses a micro ATX(uATX) board. Whether it is a standard board or a Compaq custom, I cannot say.
February 18, 2012 9:14:49 PM

I have a Compaq Presario 5000 computer that I am rebuilding. I have been having difficulty trying to find what motherboard will fit in the case. My motherboard is sp# 252608-001 P52C50H9S AS# 253242-001 DG# 011346-000. I'm not sure how much of the motherboard numbers are necessary but that is what is on the tag.

How can I know what newer motherboard will fit in the case? I hope this is enough information. The Compaq case is from 2001 and was hoping that the alignment is still similar with newer motherboards.

Thanks,
Jason
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 12:13:13 PM

Are you upgrading windows? You'll need to with a board change. I would stick with micro atx boards not larger then 9.6 x 9.6 inches. I upgraded my compaq with a small biostar board.
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 12:30:53 PM

This next topics has been merged by Nikorr
  • Trying to match a Compaq motherboard
    February 19, 2012 2:28:58 PM

o1die said:
    Are you upgrading windows? You'll need to with a board change. I would stick with micro atx boards not larger then 9.6 x 9.6 inches. I upgraded my compaq with a small biostar board.

Thanks for the reply
    I just want to bring my system up from 2001 to 2009-10 quality or so. I have the disks from 2001 and plan to keep it with XP. I have an eMachines restore disk from a 2005 system that I bought. Not sure if I can use that to put on a newer system. I also still have the officeXP disk from my 2001 Compaq that I am using on my 2005 eMachines computer.

So breaking it down, I would like to try to put XP operating system from my 2005 eMachine computer on a newer system I build on a Compaq case but no other components from the old Compaq.
    a c 435 V Motherboard
    February 19, 2012 3:49:52 PM

No can do. Emachines windows is probably just as proprietary to an emachines board as a compaq system. The system manufacturer's get windows for next to nothing by agreeing to install it only on the original motherboard, which has a small bios string identifying it as geniune (dell, compaq, emachines, etc.). You'll need a new windows coa for any oem board when changing to another brand. My original advice is good; small atx boards should fit fine if you can remove your backplate (i/o shield). You'll get a new one with your new board that matches the ports.
    February 19, 2012 4:21:17 PM

o1die said:
    No can do. Emachines windows is probably just as proprietary to an emachines board as a compaq system. The system manufacturer's get windows for next to nothing by agreeing to install it only on the original motherboard, which has a small bios string identifying it as geniune (dell, compaq, emachines, etc.). You'll need a new windows coa for any oem board when changing to another brand. My original advice is good; small atx boards should fit fine if you can remove your backplate (i/o shield). You'll get a new one with your new board that matches the ports.

I figured that they do something so you can't install back-up operating discs on other systems. Since the only thing of the old computer that I am using will be the case, I should be fine as long as it fits.

Thanks for the guidance.
    !