Sign in with
Your question

Who makes the best GTX 5 series?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2011 7:21:31 AM

Hi.
I am looking at getting a new card and wanted some advice.
Who makes the better GTX 570 or GTX 580 probably will get a 570 since there a good 200 cheaper unless i can find a cheap 580.
I am looking at both performance and running temps, preferably ones that come overclocked like the palit super chrome or the EVGA super clocked series.
Running temps are a big concern on mine though because my GTX 470 is normally running at around 80 degrees Celsius and as far as i know the 5 series runs slightly hotter so i am concerned about overheating my card.

I will be using it for running my games in 3D preferably on full maxed out settings.
Would a single 570 be enough to run games like mafia 2, metro 2033 and upcoming games like crysis 2, rage and brink in full settings and 3D?
Or would i need another card with it, i am currently selling my 470 but if the 570 wont be enough i might keep it to help out.
I'm running those games ATM with my 470 & 9800GTX+ on max settings, 3D and am only getting around 15FPS in mafia 2 so i am a little worried that the 570 wont be enough to get me up to playable levels.

I have a friend who can get me a Palit GeForce® GTX 570 Sonic Platinum for $470 or a EVGA GTX 570 super clocked for the same price.
Which one should i go for? I am leaning towards the palit because it has 2 fans appose to one, and checking come reviews it seems that it runs slightly cooler than the EVGA and its also slightly faster.
But i have heard very bad things in the warranty, reliability and customer service areas so im a little skeptical.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!

More about : makes gtx series

January 13, 2011 2:06:43 PM

I would go for evga most of them have lifetime warranty i think
m
l
January 13, 2011 4:43:24 PM

If you're getting a reference card, they are all very similar. Going with a brand you are comfortable with (maybe have used in the past) or that is known for great customer support/warranty is never a bad idea.

There's only a handful of non-reference cards on newegg. Any of reference card should serve you very well!
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2011 4:52:56 PM

Is the MSI one a reference card? Either way is the MSI version good as I have just had mine delivered.
m
l
a c 87 Î Nvidia
January 13, 2011 5:38:05 PM

The top Nvidia brands are EVGA, MSI, Asus and Gigabyte. Zotac, PNY, Galaxy and ECS I would rate second tier. Palit is famous for shipping "special" cards with extra cooling to review sites then "forgetting" to add that cooling to the retail cards and then making excuses about it when the GTX460 came out. I would never buy one based on that.

EVGA has the best warranty hands down covering overclocking/overvolting and even aftermarket cooling. You just have to put the stock cooler back on before you would return the card. I have had 5 in a row with no problems.
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 13, 2011 10:46:20 PM

Here is a review of the Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum. It is one of the few with custom cooling. The new stock cooling on the 570/580 uses a very quiet and effective vapor chamber cooler. The big difference is that the Palit vents heat inside the case and the stock cooler vents heat outside the case.

For the Palit, Guru3d got an amazing 66c temperature at load, while the stock GTX570 hit 77c. The stock cooler came in very slightly quieter at 40Db vs the Sonic at 41Db, which is pretty good considering the Palit Sonic Platinum comes factory overclocked at 810mhz. Overall, they really liked the Palit Sonic Platinum and really liked the custom cooler.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-570-son...
m
l
January 13, 2011 10:48:45 PM

Thanks.
I am really tempted to get the EVGA but there impossible to find here!
Anyone know if Inno 3D are any good?
MSY in Aurburn have them for 400 a good 100 bucks cheaper than the ASUS,EVGA, gigabyte and such.
Have not heard of these guys before so i just want to make sure its not going to explode in my face like my last ASUS 470 did.
;) 
that was a truly bad day!
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 13, 2011 11:10:29 PM

Quote:
matto - I cannot do palit homie...

They also own Gainward, so I'm sure there's a similar Gainward "Goes Like Hell" Golden Sample version if the Palit's not around. Anyway, you can't go wrong with any GTX 570.
m
l
January 14, 2011 7:10:21 AM

Ended up getting a Gigabyte this arvo since for some reason everyone only stocks them. Same guy i bought my Asus 470 a few months ago now only deals with Gigabyte same with all the stores in bell towers they only sell Gigabyte cards now.
hmmmmmm, weird!

Anyway, to keep with tradition i installed the card but now i have a new problem my computer cant detect the old asus 470.
Before when i had my 470 and 9800GTX both were detected in the Nvidia control panel and both came up in device manager, now i have the 570 where the 470 was and the 470 where the 9800 was and the 470 cant be detected.
The cards working because the fan is spinning full ball, but windows cant detect it.
Any ideas?

Dunno what the hells going on but my 570 is giving me the exact same performance my 470 was!
how the .... is that possible!?
I'm getting almost the same FPS in all my games with my 570 as i was with my 470 last night!
AC2 for example last night was lagging allot and running around 15-20. Tonight the same lagging allot around 15 - 20.
I thought the 570 would be heaps faster!
Oh great, well that was 450 bucks down the drain!!!!!!!
m
l
January 14, 2011 11:11:28 AM

you should have tried ordering from ebay
m
l
January 14, 2011 12:36:04 PM

what for?
Ebay wanted 500 for the gigabyte, i got it for 450.
long, long, loooooooooooooooong gone are the days where ebay was cheaper!
the 3D monitor i got this week on ebay is over 700 bucks on there plush shipping, i got it for 648!
O, not to mention people rip you off for shipping.
And not to mention 99% of the time you don't get what you pay for, a few months ago i purchased a 16GB M2 sandisk card and it never arrived.
Opened a dispute and both ebay and paypal did bugger all!
Also about 8 months ago i purchased a 128GB Kingston USB stick, asked the seller IS IT GENUINE! he guaranteed me it was.
I get it, and guess what? it was fake!
So, again i opened up a distpute with ebay and paypal and again same thing happened.
I reckon if i totaled up everyhing i have payed for on that scam hole and have not received it would be over a grand!
So, yea I'm glad i did not use ebay.
m
l
January 14, 2011 12:40:01 PM

So, reading between the lines, you don't like to use eBay? lol
m
l
January 14, 2011 1:33:15 PM

LMAO, yea you could say that.
;) 
Anyone else got a 570?
I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting such poor performance!
Also is there any program i can install to overclock my CPU, or do i have to do it via the BIOS?
I got a Asus P6T deluxe and am using a I7 920.
I want to try OC my CPU to around 3GHz if i can, gradually obviously see if that helps my FPS.
assassins creed 2 is unplayable!
Also i think it might be my RAM causing a bottleneck, i thought i had 12GBs but i only have 6.
m
l
January 14, 2011 1:50:10 PM

I got my MSI 570 last night. It's a beast!

What do you mean by performance? I downloaded the Crysis Demo and ran it all on the highest settings with everything turned on with no issues. But my 3D mark 2011 Benchmark killed it and I got a mark of X1675. Saying that I have no idea if that's good or not!
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 14, 2011 4:38:39 PM

That's funny, in all the comments, no one mentioned that going from a GTX470 to a GTX570 is only a minor upgrade. It's like going from a 470 to a 480. I'm afraid we failed you, not me exactly mind you, but somewhere in the process that should have been caught.
m
l
January 14, 2011 4:59:41 PM

Nick 89- what cpu are you running, and at what speeds? What resolution are you playing, and what titles?

The 570 is on average significantly faster than the 470, but you shouldn't expect a mind-blowing difference.

As far as not picking up your 470, you may have some driver issues going on. Try uninstalling drivers, reboot to safe mode and run Driver Sweeper (available from guru3d.com) to clean out any residuals left over, and then reboot again to install the new ones.
m
l
January 15, 2011 12:38:15 AM

beltzy said:
Nick 89- what cpu are you running, and at what speeds? What resolution are you playing, and what titles?

The 570 is on average significantly faster than the 470, but you shouldn't expect a mind-blowing difference.

As far as not picking up your 470, you may have some driver issues going on. Try uninstalling drivers, reboot to safe mode and run Driver Sweeper (available from guru3d.com) to clean out any residuals left over, and then reboot again to install the new ones.

I am using a I7 920 standard clock 2.66GHz if i remember right, I play my games at 1920x1080 if i run them any lower i get half the screen and that really annoys me.
I have tried assassins creed 2, BFBC2, metro 2033, just cause 2, batman AA, mafia 2, tomb raider underworld.
All of those run around 40FPS to 60FPS full settings no problems, Batman AA, AC2 and lag ridiculously badly!
I'm lucky if i get 20FPS in either of those! What i cant understand is every time i adjust the settings from highest available to lowest IE shadow detail, AA, ect, if i lower those from high to low i get maybe a extra 5FPS. I should be getting a bigger improvement than that!
I'm not expecting a mind blowing difference between the 2, i am getting the same performance from my 570 to my 470 that is just not right!

I am thinking of selling my 470 and getting another 570 in SLI, would that be a good idea? would it help my FPS much?
Also i am trying to OC my CPU and GPU which programs should i use?
If im going to do it in BIOS what voltage stages should i use?
A friend of mine has more or less the same setup as me, and he got his 920 up to 4Ghz!
m
l
January 15, 2011 2:43:20 AM

if not ebay newegg is the best
m
l
January 15, 2011 11:42:09 AM

installed windows 7 tonight and everything is running SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better!
Even AC2, before i could not get it above 20FPS now its at 30.
Just goes to show how much better windows 7 is over vista!
I'm trying to sell my 470 now, if it sells i might put that cash towards getting another 570 and SLI them than i should be able to get them even higher!

m
l
January 15, 2011 11:54:56 AM

I know this was already said but really a 470 is not that much less of a card than a 570 def more of a lateral move imo, and a $450 lateral move at that, better sell that 470, and I would try oc'ing your processor and buying an aftermarket cpu cooler if you don't already have one, this should get you some more fps. there are plenty of overclocking guides on here and everywhere via google, I would def educate yourself a bit before you have at it, btw I got my 955 to 4.0 ghz with stock voltage (1.35) but you will probably not be able to do the same with the 920, but just to give you an idea.... also the hyper 212+ comes with a high recommendation from myself
m
l
January 15, 2011 9:02:03 PM

I managed to OC my GPUs using MSI afterburner last night.
the 570 is now running a core clock of 930 a shader clock of 1860 and a memory clock of 2201. The 470 is running a core clock of 880. shader clock of 1760 and a memory clock of 2106. There all without touching the voltages.
I'm trying to sell my 470 but no one wants it!
Might go down to my local PC guy and get him to OC my CPU and install another 570 for me.
I have overclocked CPUs before, but last time i over did it slightly and my computer kept crashing so i don't want to risk it.
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 16, 2011 3:07:52 AM

That is a really high overclock. Guru3d.com was only able to get the stock GTX570 up to a core speed of 800mhz and the Palit Sonic Platinum version up to 850mhz.
m
l
January 16, 2011 9:56:30 AM

Weird, its running ok no problems been playing AC2 for 3 hours now once i exited the card was around 70C, MSI afterburner even stores the highest temp the card hit which was 82.
Maybe i should ease it back a bit?
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 16, 2011 3:11:11 PM

nick_89 said:
Weird, its running ok no problems been playing AC2 for 3 hours now once i exited the card was around 70C, MSI afterburner even stores the highest temp the card hit which was 82.
Maybe i should ease it back a bit?

It seems like everything's working well if you are not seeing "snow" or artifacts. What brand do you have and is it one with a custom cooler? For me, when I push the clocks too high, the card usually just crashes and kicks out of the game without displaying any graphical errors.
m
l
January 16, 2011 3:16:50 PM

82 is probably safe but still is damn hot, personally I would back it down abit so its at least in the 70s at most, my highly oc'ed 6870 never goes past 68c on full load bc of my agressive fan profile, either crank up the fan more (sapphire trixx allows you to create a nice fan graph so if at 60c then the fan will go 60% and so on, well whatever you set it to but I like this feature) or scale back the oc a little bit, sure your gpu can probably sustain up to 90c but personally I wouldn't flirt with disaster although your probably fine at 82 I would work to get it down a bit.
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 16, 2011 5:23:25 PM

jjb8675309 said:
82 is probably safe but still is damn hot, personally I would back it down abit so its at least in the 70s at most, my highly oc'ed 6870 never goes past 68c on full load bc of my agressive fan profile, either crank up the fan more (sapphire trixx allows you to create a nice fan graph so if at 60c then the fan will go 60% and so on, well whatever you set it to but I like this feature) or scale back the oc a little bit, sure your gpu can probably sustain up to 90c but personally I wouldn't flirt with disaster although your probably fine at 82 I would work to get it down a bit.

Of course, you can't compare temperatures between an AMD 6870 and an Nvidia GTX570. 82c is right on target for a 570. As long as it's venting exhaust outside the case, there is no problem with the GPU running at the temperatures for which it was designed. The great thing about the 570/580 is how little the temperature rises with overclocking, generally no more than 3-5c.
m
l
January 16, 2011 6:13:44 PM

youre right, but in general 80 is high imo, good that they are designed to run like that but I would like less heat coming from my gpu personally, if you can tolerate it then why not... but I understand my argument is apples and oranges, however I would still work to lower the temps a bit just to prevent other component temps from rising in my rig bc of it. Didn't know those things ran so freakin high and were designed to do so... I know the higher 4 series cooling was supposedly bad but the 5 series was improved, in the end I cannot speak from personal experience so your word is better than mine but going from general principles I would think that 80 is on the higher end of the spectrum when it comes to gpus but normal
m
l
January 16, 2011 6:42:15 PM

Yea i think i will scale it down a bit, nothing worse than spending $450 on a card, than have it die a month later because you overworked it.
Its a Gigabyte BTW, standard version not the OC version, stock cooler.
Its funny, i have my 470 close to the clocks the 570s are doing, yet its running a good 40 degrees cooler!
what the?
Before when i had the 470 & 9800GTX in there the 470 it was running at 80 constantly with no overclock, now i overclock the daylights out of it and it runs cooler?
:??: 
m
l
January 19, 2011 1:33:08 PM

btw i heard sum1 in this thread say we should not expect mind blowing diffrences between the 570 & 470 well i think the fps might not show it but the visuals surely do things look more detailed more intricate... plainly more real with the 5 series
m
l
January 19, 2011 2:05:45 PM

vada said:
btw i heard sum1 in this thread say we should not expect mind blowing diffrences between the 570 & 470 well i think the fps might not show it but the visuals surely do things look more detailed more intricate... plainly more real with the 5 series

huh thats sounds pretty subjective, and to be frank sounds like a load of bs, yeah nvidias visual quality is supposed to be a bit better (I have never been able to tell a difference) but to my knowledge there should be no difference between 4 and 5 series pertaining to visual quality, they run on the same drivers after all, do you have any evidence for this claim or are you just speaking from personal expirience?
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 19, 2011 4:48:01 PM

vada said:

You know, I have to agree with you. I upgraded to a GTX580 from a GTX480, and I swear the graphics look better, just more crisp. There were some architectural differences between the two chips, but I'm not sure anything significantly different enough to explain the perceived difference. Still, I'm positive I have noticed a subtle difference. I even posted a forum note about in on the "5xx..." thread a day or two after I made the upgrade.
m
l
January 19, 2011 4:49:44 PM

17seconds said:
You know, I have to agree with you. I upgraded to a GTX580 from a GTX480, and I swear the graphics look better, just more crisp. There were some architectural differences between the two chips, but I'm not sure anything significantly different enough to explain the perceived difference. Still, I'm positive I have noticed a subtle difference. I even posted a forum note about in on the "5xx..." thread a day or two after I made the upgrade.

wow if thats really true now I feel like crap for having an amd gpu... damn
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 19, 2011 4:55:48 PM

jjb8675309 said:
wow if thats really true now I feel like crap for having an amd gpu... damn

You know, once you get above a 5850 or GTX460 level, most of these cards are pushing really high frame rates with excellent quality graphics.
m
l
January 19, 2011 5:02:02 PM

true, I guess the grass is always greener I'm still more than satisfied but why did amd think it was a good idea to do this? is the small performance increase worth the backlash and the deminished quality (for what its worth)?
m
l
January 19, 2011 5:03:12 PM

jjb8675309 said:

You should see my GTX 470, it hits 94 °C withing 5 minutes easily!
m
l
January 19, 2011 5:04:23 PM

zoro_2009 said:
You should see my GTX 470, it hits 94 °C withing 5 minutes easily!

what are your fan settings, auto?
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 19, 2011 5:06:26 PM

jjb8675309 said:

Yeah, I don't like that temperature at all. My old GTX480 was regular at 91-92c when gaming, running stress tests, etc., and that card should run hotter than your 470.
m
l
January 19, 2011 5:09:36 PM

jjb8675309 said:

Yes Auto !
m
l
January 19, 2011 5:13:02 PM

zoro_2009 said:
Yes Auto !

yeah well that makes sense those temps are pretty high, you should try running your fan at like 40% and see if your situation improves
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 19, 2011 5:13:15 PM

zoro_2009 said:
Yes Auto !

Similar to the rest of this thread, the key is how high your fan needs to run to keep the GPU in a safe zone. Hopefully, you are around 75% fan speed or below.
m
l
January 19, 2011 5:14:18 PM

I guess the NV chips are made to run at insanely high temps but my point is, why push the thermal envelope if you don't have to...
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 19, 2011 5:15:01 PM

jjb8675309 said:
yeah well that makes sense those temps are pretty high, you should try running your fan at like 40% and see if your situation improves

I think 40% is below the stock idle speed, so that would actually increase the idle temperatures. The GTX480 idles at 44% fan. Gotta take a look at the load temps and fan speeds.
m
l
January 19, 2011 5:16:41 PM

right on well either way i just thought that temp was high im not familiar with the 4 series as I have mainly run ati for the past few years
m
l
a c 386 Î Nvidia
January 19, 2011 5:20:03 PM

jjb8675309 said:
I guess the NV chips are made to run at insanely high temps but my point is, why push the thermal envelope if you don't have to...

Yep, your 6870 is a much cooler card. The problem with aiming for a lower temperature is that you have to balance that out with a louder fan speed. On the GTX470, there is a fine line where the fan noise can get uncomfortable. I found that speed to be around 78%. My normal load speed for the GTX480 was around 74%, so there is not much headroom to shoot for lower temperatures without crossing that noise threshold. The good thing is that the stock fan vents heat outside the case, so overall system temperatures are not affected much by the GPU temp.
m
l
January 19, 2011 5:24:33 PM

I see that makes sense, if the 480 was already up to 78% on auto then like you said there is not much more room for improvement, my 6870 is tolerable up to about 70% fan and after that its a jet engine, it too vents the heat outside the case which imo is a great design but your hand on it and you can feel the heat being pumped out. Thanks for filling me in about the nv temps
m
l
!