I need help shopping for a new graphics card

geewhillikers52

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I Have a Compaq SR5240AN, and I need a card to use instead of the integrated one.
I will just be playing Half-life 2 and other source-engine games, but any time there is a huge group of enemies shooting it slows down.
I've upgraded the ram to 2GB and I can replace the psu if i have to

PC specs:
http://goo.gl/ytvZg

Integrated graphics:
6wn.png

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, you will defiantly need to upgrade you PSU before upgrading your GPU.
I would also recommend adding another 2GB of RAM to the system as it should be a quite inexpensive upgrade.

In order to recommend the best PSU and GPU for your system I need a little more information.

1) What is your budget?
2) What is the resolution of your monitor and do you plan on upgrading it anytime soon?
3) Do you, or do you plan to, play anything other than Source based games and, if so, what?

You do not necessarily have to upgrade your PSU unless you want a mid to high end gaming graphics card. Something like a HD4650 or HD5570 will run on your 250W PSU. A HD4670 or HD5670 would be pushing it (I show 254W-263W recommended on the PSU calculator), and anything stronger is out of the question. If you're on a low budget, a HD4650 will provide a significant improvement over what you have.
Otherwise, get a 380W Antec Earthwatts. This solid, quiet, efficient PSU would run a HD5770 easily (but that GPU would be bottlenecked by your CPU).

Defiantly DO NOT buy the above PSU unless you like flames shooting out of your computer.
Dirt cheap PSUs are dirt cheap for a reason.

As you are on a heavy budget, I would recommend This ATI 5570, which can be had for $50 after a $15 MIR.
Along with jtt283's assessment above, this card has a max TDP of only 39w and should work with your current PSU.
It will be a major upgrade from your current IGP and should allow you to nearly max out the quality settings (probably without AA though) at your displays native resolution when playing current Source games.