Sign in with
Your question

Monitor/Ghosting Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2011 8:23:35 AM

Hello... first of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, couldn't find a monitor sub-category.

i've noticed a ghosting problem with my monitor. It's an Xplio 22inch widescreen LCD. i noticed horrible ghosting originally about 2 months ago, and it got progressively worse. plans to upgrade my video card were already in the works, and about a month ago i installed it. GTX460 1gb EE, and even after installing it noticed that my ghosting issues were still present on my brand new video card. next step was to replace the VGA cable, which i have done. this step resolved about 75% of my issues, most of the hideous ghosting that was an eye sore.

that leaves me where i'm at now.... it's been 2-3 days since the cable replacement and i still notice minor ghosting, not nearly as bad as it was. but my eyes pick it up everytime i look at it. i'm thinking my display is fried. it is 3-4 years old, and i've heard Xplio is a crappy CRAPPY staples brand.

this new 'ghosting' issue since the cable replacement isn't really that crippling, but with 20/20 vision - it's truly annoying.

this is where things get weird. my brother and i bought matching pc combos, both came with the same monitor. my brother has NOT replaced his cables at all, but i notice the same similar 'ghosting' on his machine. (not nearly as bad as mine was pre-cable replacement).

now... my question is... do ALL LCD displays have that minor ghosting effect? or is this just a case of both of our monitors slowly being on their way out?
(by minor ghosting effect i mean you see a 1mm drag after your mouse pointer, while looking at the desktop... or even while looking in Steam at my games list)

PS. if the case of it being a monitor dying on me, which brands can you guys recommend for only gaming in mind? looking at a 24inch lcd, and not wanting to pay like in excess of $300.

i've heard Acer and BenQ are both solid bets. thanks for any help or insight.
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 11:23:50 AM

I don't believe it is normal to have ghosting affect - I thought this was more related to response time than anything else, but I could be wrong - I thought it's advisable to keep that as low as possible - 2ms - 5ms or less.

I've never seen ghosting on my 22" LCDs. I've always stuck with Samsung, but I know that Acer makes some decent monitors too.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 11:42:01 AM

Ghosting is a fact of life for LCD's. Its all dependent on Response Time.

And I note, Response Time that is listed is always a best case result, and varies quite a bit across a given LCD screen.

As a general rule, go for LCD's with 5ms or less Response Time, and you'll get far less ghosting that is noticable.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 158 U Graphics card
a c 98 C Monitor
January 13, 2011 1:04:26 PM

Are you talking about ghosting like text and images show a shadow behind them (like a misconverged CRT or 3-color projector) or when things are in motion there is an after-image? The text ghosting is more of a broken monitor or cable issue, where the motion ghosting is just a poor quality screen. For a $300 budget you can get a good 24" monitor or a very good 22" one, just check online for reviews. 24" is pretty big for a monitor, unless you watch movies on it at a distance I would go for a higher level 22" one.
m
l
January 15, 2011 12:52:57 PM

thanks for the replies so far. the ghosting is noticeable behind text and images, they show a shadow/drag. i'm certain it's my monitor just dying, the fact that both of ours are dying at the same time from years and years of use, and the fact it is of lower quality. i'm looking for a 1920x1080, 2-5ms, preferably with a DVI cable. don't care on the actual size of the monitor, so long as it has the default res i mentioned. also, i'm looking between Samsung, Viewsonic and Acer. any recommendations for either would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
a c 98 C Monitor
January 17, 2011 12:39:41 PM

p9fingers said:
thanks for the replies so far. the ghosting is noticeable behind text and images, they show a shadow/drag. i'm certain it's my monitor just dying, the fact that both of ours are dying at the same time from years and years of use, and the fact it is of lower quality. i'm looking for a 1920x1080, 2-5ms, preferably with a DVI cable. don't care on the actual size of the monitor, so long as it has the default res i mentioned. also, i'm looking between Samsung, Viewsonic and Acer. any recommendations for either would be greatly appreciated.

Out of those, Samsung for sure. You should also check on Asus and Hanns-G

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategor...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2011 4:41:50 PM

I've always had excellent experiences with Samsung monitors.
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:18:16 PM

Going with the Samsung E2220X. about to go pick it up right now. thanks for the help/replies!
m
l
!